Electric car anyone?

2 lurkers | 72 watchers
Sep 2021
1:08pm, 24 Sep 2021
39,794 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
As you know Dv, I've lived in and love Edinburgh, old town and new town, and I have visited Culross and many other parts of historic Fife. Solar panels on their rooves will not bring the house down!

And here is Angus to quite rightly put the alternative view from the farmland owners.

I just think we *all* need to be prepared and to encourage all of these changes. And fast. We can't afford to keep using fossil fuels. We need any and all alternatives and we need to accelerate their introduction.
Sep 2021
1:11pm, 24 Sep 2021
39,795 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
This is prob for the Environment Thread rather than electric car specific.
Sep 2021
1:13pm, 24 Sep 2021
23,487 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(I know, this probably all belongs on The Environment Thread ...)

Depends on the land, AC. I wouldnt advocate using "good" land. But even down here, above say 200m it's fairly sparse sheep, or trees, with a few cattle. Not a lot of production would be lost. The picture in my post above, for example (up the Carron Valley, around the watershed. I'm standing with another wind farm to my back, and there are more turbines in the picture than the obvious.)
Sep 2021
1:13pm, 24 Sep 2021
23,266 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
It’s a difficult balance, for sure. I certainly enjoy my iTrinkets, my Garmin stuff and all the other modern toys that I don’t actually need.
jda
Sep 2021
1:36pm, 24 Sep 2021
10,843 posts
  •  
jda
Different =/= worse.

The only reason all the old buildings where I live are limestone with slab stone roofs is because that’s what was lying around for people to use at the time, and people now think it’s attractive because they’ve got used to looking at it.

As for farmland, I don’t know how much effect on yield there is. Grass still grows (you don’t have 100% coverage) and it’s sensible to keep sheep grazing to help with maintenance. Of course that only applies in areas where sheep are a viable option.
jda
Sep 2021
1:38pm, 24 Sep 2021
10,844 posts
  •  
jda
Sorry for the thread drift. Home solar is probably quite ineffective as an EV charging system for the regular commuter who is out 5 days a week. But maybe with more home working, that will be less common…
Sep 2021
1:50pm, 24 Sep 2021
15,493 posts
  •  
larkim
There are some smart charging cable / chargers out there for domestic use (I thin the Ohme one and Zappi ones?) which have "smart" capabilities to turn on and turn off charging of the EV dependent on whether there is a solar surplus flowing around the house. Whilst of course these are a "good idea" the cost of investment is pretty high compared to the actual monetary return so it takes someone who is particularly committed to reducing carbon fuel use to want to use them as it may end up costing them more ££ than normal use would. I don't know enough about them, but presume the smarts need building into the solar setup as well as the wall charger so outlays are not cheap.
Sep 2021
1:57pm, 24 Sep 2021
39,797 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My EO can do that too. Timing (supplier variable tariff) and or solar sourcing both supported.

But if we had smart (community) grids and/or smart storage, then all energy generated would be capable of being stored and then used, with true surplus back to grid for others to use.
Sep 2021
2:04pm, 24 Sep 2021
15,494 posts
  •  
larkim
Is yours linked up to solar then HG? I can see on the EO site it is an optional extra; if you've got it, how does it link into the solar panels to know when to kick in?
Sep 2021
2:11pm, 24 Sep 2021
39,798 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No larks. Haven't installed solar yet. Looking to build a new house to put our panels on! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.