Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
jda
Sep 2021
5:07pm, 20 Sep 2021
10,821 posts
  •  
jda
The range vs home charging is obviously a bit of a mindset change that many of us will have to get used to. I did a 400km trip (each way) last week that would have challenged an EV and might have required an additional charging stop on the way (compared to how I actually drove it). However that's the longest I have driven in a day for about 3 years, and I've had a lot of 10 min stops at petrol stations over that time!

Having worked out that the new e-Vivaro can do my regular trip to my mother in one charge (certainly with a brief top-up, I usually stop on the way anyway) I'm definitely warming to the idea.
Sep 2021
5:08pm, 20 Sep 2021
12,785 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I love driving my leaf. It's very nippy on the roundabouts of Aberdeen 😀
Sep 2021
5:09pm, 20 Sep 2021
39,760 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's a nice looking van that jda. What kind of mpg do you get out of a diesel van normally?
jda
Sep 2021
5:23pm, 20 Sep 2021
10,822 posts
  •  
jda
I get about 45mpg which is a bit over the official figure but I'm mostly trundling around main roads with a light load and a light right foot! Of course diesel is higher energy density than petrol so flatters the comparison but I'm still amazed as my tiny Nissan Micra (my only previous vehicle, back in the 1990s) did about the same!

I'm hoping to get some reviews of real-world performance from the e-version and also holding out for some more colours as it really has to be electric blue :-)
Sep 2021
10:27am, 24 Sep 2021
15,484 posts
  •  
larkim
Not a bad time to have a battery in the car...

bbc.co.uk
Sep 2021
10:31am, 24 Sep 2021
39,788 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was trying to not feel smug about it. Failed though! ;-)

However, remember, electricity prices are at risk of big hikes at same time, as gas prices go up - still a major part of the wholesale electricity market.

The main benefit (as discussed in Environment Thread) should be to push the switch to non-fossil fuel electricity generation. But there could be some really tough years ahead for users of both fossil-fuels and electricity, as the switch progresses, unevenly.

£4 fill up last night at home! :-) G
Sep 2021
11:02am, 24 Sep 2021
15,485 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, happy to feel smug until unit prices go through the roof and the powerstations are unable to supply electrons due to gas shortages!
jda
Sep 2021
11:12am, 24 Sep 2021
10,840 posts
  •  
jda
I assure you that there will never be a shortage of electrons :-)

Our neighbour is feeling smug as he’s just getting solar panels installed. In fact we had a power cut yesterday, not his fault though as they’d only put the scaffolding up at that point. He’s getting a car charge point put in at the same time, though his only e-vehicle is a bike right now.
Sep 2021
11:15am, 24 Sep 2021
15,487 posts
  •  
larkim
We've got "rentaroof" solar here and my better half loves it. Doesn't get involved in charging the car, but it does mean that loads of household appliances get set to maximise their use of any solar surplus around the house.
jda
Sep 2021
11:23am, 24 Sep 2021
10,842 posts
  •  
jda
My neighbour had to apply for planning permission - front elevation in a national park, though barely visible (if at all) and I was glad to see it got waved through quickly. We’ve got to get used to it as the normal appearance of a house.

Not that it’s a complete answer by a long stretch.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.