mrs shanksi
theguardian.com

Not sure about this?
Sep 2021
7:50am, 4 Sep 2021
7,045 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Me, neither. Especially in light of the fact the range of an electric car is still relatively poor. You've charged all night cheaply to drive somewhere and then get the charge reduced so can't drive home?

Unless I've read the article wrong?
Sep 2021
7:53am, 4 Sep 2021
15,310 posts
  •  
larkim
I can see how it could work, but you'd need a good degree of control to ensure that you didn't get into your car after being plugged in to find that it had donated all of its energy to the grid to make your some money but didn't have enough for the journey!!

Battery use like that to smooth out supply and demand is definitely something that needs to be part of longer term strategies.
Sep 2021
7:56am, 4 Sep 2021
12,723 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I thought it was strange.
jda
Sep 2021
8:02am, 4 Sep 2021
10,708 posts
  •  
jda
No-one is going to steal charge away from your car against your will :-)

But there may well be times when your car is well charged and you might think it reasonable to sell at 15p/unit if you can buy back overnight at 5p. It would certainly appeal to me *if* I was confident that the profit would outweigh the cost of extra cycling on the battery.
jda
Sep 2021
8:04am, 4 Sep 2021
10,709 posts
  •  
jda
It would easily work on the daily cycle of demand, commuter gets home and plugs in, spare charge helps with the evening peak and then recharges overnight. However once we’re all on solar, there won’t be cheap overnight power….
Sep 2021
8:06am, 4 Sep 2021
39,610 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's mostly at home or anywhere you are parked for extended amount of time. The idea is that every car is huge battery worth 5-10K of the car price. With inbuilt very intelligent charging circuitry.

If all the EVs were left plugged in all the time, they would solve the renewable energy storage problem (sun and wind aren't always on). Obviously it wouldn't work well if all the cars wanted to go on a national car rally on a windless evening into night! But overall, don't know about your car, but my car drives 1hour per day average and sits in the drive or car park somewhere for 23 hours of the day! That's a lot of free battery storage to offer to the grid.
Sep 2021
8:14am, 4 Sep 2021
62,559 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I just want a car as a means of transport, I don’t expect it to generate income or save the planet. What I do want is something that is capable of getting me me where I need to go, when I want to go at a reasonable speed without the worry of running out of ‘fuel’ before my journey is complete.
Sep 2021
8:35am, 4 Sep 2021
39,612 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's such an old fashioned way of thinking about it Dio.

We all *have* to save the planet (well, we don't have to, but if we don't all change the planet is f*cked, which I suppose some people are OK with).

So in a million ways we're all going to have to change.

One of those is we can't take carbon out of the ground, put it in burners and float the waste products up to the atmosphere. Not an option.

So if you want to get from A to B, the choices become walk, bike, public transport or for a one person device, use an electric vehicle (which may be a shared device in the future).

It won't run out of "fuel", because it can be easily re-fueled in many different ways. It's just that way isn't a 50 litre tank of liquid that lasts for 500 miles any more. It's just different. It's not worse. In many ways it's much easier. :-) G
Sep 2021
10:46am, 4 Sep 2021
15,311 posts
  •  
larkim
@jda, it will still require some thinking through in terms of drawing from car batteries Vs usability. By definition the plan is to withdraw charge from car batteries for redeployment elsewhere, so for example if I charge my car overnight at home on "surplus" electricity and arrive at work with a 75% full battery there is the potential for c. 50% of the battery store to be redeployed as I'll only need the remaining 25% to get home. And 999 days out of 1000 that would be fine.

But what if (extreme example) suddenly I get a call at work and I need to do a rapid 50 mile drive to a hospital near my parents because one of them has been taken ill? If I lose confidence that my car will retain sufficient charge to deal with foreseeable emergencies or unusual patterns of driving I'll be less keen to participate in the charge / redeploy scheme.

Of course, as batteries get bigger and rapid charging gets more rapid these issues will start to fall away somewhat and it will become easier to specify buffers of remaining charge etc. It will also need more charging points to allow for charge to be released.

Overall it is a good idea and concept, I just hope implementation is effective and sensible.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.