Cricket Thread

6 lurkers | 104 watchers
8 Jul
4:42pm, 8 Jul 2024
19,332 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
rf_fozzy wrote:Final confirmation that Anderson was forced out. bbc.co.uk
There hasn't been any doubt for weeks. The team are moving on. I'm sure we'll all get over it (even the BBC).
8 Jul
4:55pm, 8 Jul 2024
24,218 posts
  •  
Dave A
The thing I take from the interview is that he didn’t know how long he would go for. Be it this summer, another year, 2 years. And England are planning for the Ashes. Plus, 18 wickets in his last 8 tests, probably at a high average, would’ve got other bowlers dropped. See Ollie Robinson for that.

Yes he bowled well at County level the other week, but could he do that week in, week out, at International level?
jda
8 Jul
5:03pm, 8 Jul 2024
17,440 posts
  •  
jda
It'll be funny when their top 3 test choices all get injured or lose form and they are scratching around for country trundlers to make up the numbers. All while Anderson still has the ball on a string.

Nuts to drop someone who's performing well just so you can give a worse player a game.
8 Jul
5:05pm, 8 Jul 2024
19,333 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
... except when he is 41.
8 Jul
5:10pm, 8 Jul 2024
22,651 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Dave A wrote:Plus, 18 wickets in his last 8 tests, probably at a high average

Last 2 years: 15 Tests, 43 wickets at 28.93

Last 8 tests is highly selective given it was the Ashes where he was injured and away to India.
8 Jul
5:11pm, 8 Jul 2024
22,652 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ollie Robinson got dropped because he's not fit.

I find it a little bizarre he's not been selected for the first test as he's bowling really well.

As is Anderson.
8 Jul
5:28pm, 8 Jul 2024
24,219 posts
  •  
Dave A
rf_fozzy wrote:Dave A wrote:Plus, 18 wickets in his last 8 tests, probably at a high average Last 2 years: 15 Tests, 43 wickets at 28.93 Last 8 tests is highly selective given it was the Ashes where he was injured and away to India.

He wasn’t injured last year for the tests, as he wouldn’t have played. He picked up a muscle injury in the County games in the build up. In interviews, through his own admission, he’s admitted to allowing his fitness levels dropping and not having the effort going through his bowling action.
8 Jul
5:30pm, 8 Jul 2024
24,220 posts
  •  
Dave A
rf_fozzy wrote:Ollie Robinson got dropped because he's not fit. I find it a little bizarre he's not been selected for the first test as he's bowling really well. As is Anderson.

I was surprised by Robinson not being included. I watched him bowl against Brook and Root in a county game and he was all over them. I haven’t seen the rest of his games though.
8 Jul
6:21pm, 8 Jul 2024
22,653 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Dave A wrote:rf_fozzy wrote:Ollie Robinson got dropped because he's not fit. I find it a little bizarre he's not been selected for the first test as he's bowling really well. As is Anderson. I was surprised by Robinson not being included. I watched him bowl against Brook and Root in a county game and he was all over them. I haven’t seen the rest of his games though.

It's odd because Chris Woakes hasn't played a game this summer? (for very understandable reasons).
8 Jul
7:25pm, 8 Jul 2024
24,221 posts
  •  
Dave A
I think Woakes is in because of how good he is in English conditions, last summer being a prime example Also, a more senior bowler in the absence of O Jimmy Jimmy to help the less experienced through.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP