Cats in Boxes

2 lurkers | 97 watchers
19 Jul
9:50pm, 19 Jul 2024
18,969 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Oh, that small cat is ridiculously cute.

Question for the cat-owners. I have today learned the name of next door's cat (cries of "come in Angel" this morning trying to coax her indoors were not discreet). I mentioned to housemate that I was pleased to now know her name, so when I next chat to her and get roundly ignored, I can use her name.

Housemate said that that was weird, and that he'd find it creepy that someone was talking to his cat using its name.

Is he right?
jda
19 Jul
10:30pm, 19 Jul 2024
17,505 posts
  •  
jda
Presume you’re not on close terms with neighbour? Could seem a bit stalkery to know the name. Suggest you try to say hi to the neighbour and say how much you like seeing their cat.

If you’re already on good terms with the neighbour, not at all weird.
19 Jul
10:44pm, 19 Jul 2024
18,973 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
Only really on nodding terms, although did briefly speak to her after cat was attacked by a local stray/interloper.

Thanks, I'll stick to calling her "Cat". She treats me with utter disdain regardless :)
CK2
20 Jul
1:23pm, 20 Jul 2024
2,756 posts
  •  
CK2
Do cats know their names? I suspect our two respond to tone of voice rather than the actual words.
20 Jul
2:35pm, 20 Jul 2024
19,764 posts
  •  
NDWDave

Supervising
20 Jul
3:18pm, 20 Jul 2024
89 posts
  •  
peanut
Doing a good job supervising 👍
20 Jul
4:23pm, 20 Jul 2024
4,409 posts
  •  
NordRunner
CK2 wrote:Do cats know their names? I suspect our two respond to tone of voice rather than the actual words.
They can: perplexity.ai
20 Jul
6:25pm, 20 Jul 2024
1,569 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
facebook.com

I'm currently having the same problem due to having the audacity to go on holiday last week.
CK2
21 Jul
8:11am, 21 Jul 2024
2,757 posts
  •  
CK2
NordRunner wrote:CK2 wrote:Do cats know their names? I suspect our two respond to tone of voice rather than the actual words. They can: perplexity.ai

That’s fascinating. Thanks.
21 Jul
11:59am, 21 Jul 2024
1,477 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
We had a cat whose original name was Tippett/Tippy (she was a breeder reject) when I was young. We planned on changing her name to Flicka. You'd think the sound was quite similar, but she ignored us if we called her Flicka, and responded to Tippett/Tippy. So she kept her original name.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!