Cats in Boxes

3 lurkers | 97 watchers
4 Jan
8:27pm, 4 Jan 2024
8,322 posts
  •  
Corrah
Oh no, poor Sunny. Suspected Isaac had a kidney issue but apparently not. Hope vet can help x
4 Jan
8:31pm, 4 Jan 2024
117,186 posts
  •  
Hanneke
My friends cat had kidney issues.
It was a while ago but I seem to remember expensive special food and monitoring water intake. She lived quite long with it.
CK2
4 Jan
8:50pm, 4 Jan 2024
2,527 posts
  •  
CK2
That’s reassuring Hanneke - thanks, and yes we anticipate experience.
CK2
4 Jan
2,528 posts
  •  
CK2
*expense!
CK2
4 Jan
2,529 posts
  •  
CK2
*expense!
4 Jan
9:08pm, 4 Jan 2024
47,482 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Bonnie has early stage kidney disease and my previous cat, Maximus, had chronic kidney disease.

Prescription food is pricey and apparently does not taste good. I never managed to find a wet food that Maximus would eat nor have I managed to trick Bonnie into eating prescription wet food. And she won’t take the incredibly expensive kidney disease supplement.

Prescription dry food is better. Bonnie happily eats that. For now, I’m happy to give her regular wet food and prescription dry food just to be sure she is eating as she is losing weight too.

Maximus lived on for a good number of years with CKD, a heart murmur and FiV 😊
4 Jan
9:37pm, 4 Jan 2024
22,923 posts
  •  
RichHL
Madeleine had diabetes which we brought under control with medication and diet. Tilly had Stage 2 chronic kidney disease which we were monitoring and when she fell ill for the last time. We were being very careful with her diet. With care, cats can live with poor kidneys for quite a while. I was medicating Kick the Cat for two years before her kidneys failed completely.
4 Jan
9:52pm, 4 Jan 2024
13,003 posts
  •  
sallykate
They should tell you which stage it is. Stage 1 to stage 4, based on the levels of creatinine present. Lenin was diagnosed at stage 4, it came on really suddenly and he was relatively young (12). The vet kept him in for a few days to try to flush his system but it had no effect.

When I looked into it I was dismayed to see that if they are that bad at initial diagnosis then prognosis is poor - just over a month. If it's an earlier stage then it can be effectively managed through meds and diet (low phosphorus food) and many cats live with it for years, as you'll have seen from the experience of other posters.

My main priority was to keep him eating (one of the symptoms we'd noticed was rapid weight loss). He wouldn't take the meds. I fed him a lot of human food, chicken and white fish, as he seemed to prefer that to the kidney diet cat food. We had water dishes in every room so that he could always drink when he wanted to, and towards the end elevated them as it seemed easier for him to drink if his head was more level with his body. Added an extra litter box - although he could go outside, one of the symptoms was increased urination.

In the end he lived for five months post-diagnosis, which surprised the vet, given how bad he was. We had regular check-ups to monitor his condition. I hope Sunny is at an earlier and more manageable stage.
4 Jan
10:16pm, 4 Jan 2024
47,483 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Bonnie has water bowls in 3 rooms and drinks a lot. She took to lying next to her bowl for long periods of time and just drinking and sleeping. That’s why I originally took her to the vet.

She has high blood pressure, too, but has perked up considerably since starting on the prescription dry food and the blood pressure meds.

I hope Sunny responds well to treatment ❤️
5 Jan
5:59am, 5 Jan 2024
50,456 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hugs

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!