1000 miles in 2024

1 lurker | 59 watchers
Par by the end of today is 728.8
8 Jul
11:09am, 8 Jul 2024
7,010 posts
  •  
steve45
Northumberland. A wonderful county and where my family on my Dad's side hailed from. He too, born in Alnwick. We used to enjoy all the coastal bits there when I was a kid.
3.85 miles hs...3.64 TanTan....Arghhh...but of course we'll done both. Good run and time there Donnie..
As for times, maybe I'm being a bit unkind so sorry if I am, but why bother timing any races or distances if it doesn't matter?! I have friends who do park runs and say they don't race but can't wait to stick a pb on their strava or Facebook pages! Each to their own.
This morning, later than usual I did 5.2 miles but cut back all the overhang brambles on the trail, it took longer than I expected. Nice to see blackberries ripe here and there as well as Evening Primroses blooming widely now .
8 Jul
11:27am, 8 Jul 2024
4,235 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
Well done Steve and belated birthday wishes.
There’s way too much to comment individually.
I did a lovely parkrun in Oslo on Sat I’ve now done parkrun in 12 different countries.
Yesterday’s 7 miles done today and felt ok.
8 Jul
11:40am, 8 Jul 2024
15,416 posts
  •  
hillstrider
GG, I'm sorry to hear that your knee is still playing up, and hope that you will be able to see your physio before you go away. It's good though, that you enjoyed this mornings run.

TanTan, well done for last weeks 3.64 and this mornings 4.54 miles.

Steve, times and AG positions do still matter to me, especially in parkruns. It does bug me though that the majority of road races only have age categories up to 70+. I'm on the over 70's Facebook forum and this also bugs most of the posters.

Well done for this mornings 5.2 miles.

I ran a steady 4.04 miles this morning on roads with a running friend. I felt much better than I did during yesterday's run.
8 Jul
11:45am, 8 Jul 2024
15,417 posts
  •  
hillstrider
LL, our posts crossed! Well done for Saturdays parkrun in Oslo, and congratulations for parkrunning in 12 different countries. I imagine that you will have completed the whole of the parkrunning alphabet?

Well done for this mornings 7 miles.
8 Jul
11:46am, 8 Jul 2024
23,084 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Wow what an achievement Loo!! impressive.

I have to say I agree with you being disgruntled at the AG, why not give 75, 80, 85 and credit those of you still out there doing your best the acknowledgement.

I only don't race as I am slow, if I had any chance of speed I would be more interested in getting a PB. What I lack in speed I make up in endurance and I do want to know that I've given what I do my best shot. And I suppose looking at increasing distances or improving on previous times at a distance does kind of matter but there is always the variables. I'm happy just getting out.

I do feel I am getting slower, but I run with my mum (albeit not as much lately) and my friend both of whom are slower than my pace and I am wondering if that is part of the problem I keep trying to keep the pressure on pace when I'm running solo, esp if I'm on a road run.

Glad today's run was better for you too hs.
8 Jul
12:26pm, 8 Jul 2024
18 posts
  •  
JackFW
@steve45, I don’t disagree with you. Races are races and therefore should be timed and measured. Otherwise it’s not a “race”.

And runners should set goals in time and distance and should most definitely be proud when they achieve those goals.

I suppose my earlier point was more philosophical in that I don’t believe (for me at least) that it really is about either the distance or the time, it’s the enjoyment of the pursuit of running. Now, it’s not always enjoyable or fun. But I try to enjoy and appreciate that I can do it as much as possible because I know one day it will be gone.

Life can often be full of chores, and expectations and commitment. It’s nice doing something for the joy of it and not taking it too seriously. But I recognise that others want different things out of running.

And for that reason I do not kick myself of get down on myself for not achieving a certain time, although I do set myself time goals occasionally and am happy when I achieve them.

I’m just happy to be out there! But I certainly recognise that I am not a very competitive person. I’ve got mates who will bust their guts and spew up at the end of the race if it means they get the most of themselves time wise.

I did another 5km tonight. Second run of the day, inspired by @MrM2, followed by some crisps and chocolates as a reward.
8 Jul
2:28pm, 8 Jul 2024
23,092 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I have a physio appointment tomorrow with my physio, fingers crossed its an easy fix.

I tend to call the 'races' I enter an event for the reason I don't race anything.
8 Jul
2:45pm, 8 Jul 2024
15,419 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Thanks GG; we are all getting slower with age, but you seem to be compensating by maintaining your endurance! I hope tomorrow's appointment with your physio is productive 🤞

JackFW, I've always enjoyed running, as well as being very competitive, especially in my younger days.

Well done for your two runs in a day.
8 Jul
6:14pm, 8 Jul 2024
39 posts
  •  
Dubairunner
Working nights over the weekend, got home at 0530 this morning, so only 2 treadmill 5ks over the weekend. I’ve worked shifts all my working life and still hate working nights!

Jack office hours start here at 0730, same as school, my son found a 0900 start at uni this year a lie in!
8 Jul
10:24pm, 8 Jul 2024
13 posts
  •  
MrM2
Looby Loo...I don't have the same appetite for parkruns, as you do, but I have run them in two other countries: a couple in Palermo, Sicily (Where we had a family holiday in 2019) In one I came 18th out of 25 and in the other I came 10th out of 35. So, very small events. Then I ran the Durban, North Beach parkrun a couple of times in 2016, and on the second one, with a time of 25:30, my position was 127 out of 1499!!!Quite an experience.
But I can match your tally of 12 countries...for marathons.
Glad to get out for a 5k run this afternoon.

YTD: 0853 miles.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
Welcome to the thread :-) to be on target you need to run 19 Miles per week or 2.7 Miles per day.

Target list can be found here - fetcheveryone.com/training-mileagetargets-filtered.php?category=RUN&mileage=1000