Wheel of Time

15 watchers
Nov 2021
8:00pm, 20 Nov 2021
1,945 posts
  •  
Heinzster
There are definite changes. None of the main characters were married at the start. The romance between Rand and Egwene was much more innocent.

Moraine did not make herself known as Aes Sedai at the start, nor was she injured in the battle. The ferryman didn't jump in the river. Nynaeve left the village very differently. There was no sign of the red Ajah so early in the story. I think there has been a gender switch of the innkeeper at the mining village.

It is massively better than the Hobbit!
D2
Nov 2021
11:23pm, 21 Nov 2021
12,213 posts
  •  
D2
Love the books but havent seen the new film series.... not sure if I want to have my internal images altered!!
D2
Nov 2021
11:25pm, 21 Nov 2021
12,214 posts
  •  
D2
We do have a fetchie called Dragon Reborn!!!!
Nov 2021
6:32am, 22 Nov 2021
1,949 posts
  •  
Heinzster
D2, I suspect it is better for fans as we know a lot of the background. It does take time for people who haven't read the books to get up to speed.
My wife did comment that it derives heavily from LOTR, which is undeniable for the first book.
Nov 2021
3:56pm, 22 Nov 2021
966 posts
  •  
Tazsedai
Overall I liked it. The weaves were great, the length of time it took to create said weaves was laughable, heard someone say they did not care for RPs interpretative dancing 🤣 I'm a massive Jordan fan so I'd watch anyway...
Nov 2021
8:46pm, 22 Nov 2021
5,672 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
In my opinion it was too rushed, they tried to bring in many elements all at the same time.

They should have kept it slow and relied on the fan base from the books and maybe dropped more but shorter eps in one go.

Dragon reborn wasn't mentioned in the books for a lot longer, which created the what / why that generated the interest to read....
Nov 2021
9:21pm, 22 Nov 2021
5,673 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Also can't see the point of implying intimacy different from the book unless you are going to show it (ie GoT tv series with the random nudity :-))
Nov 2021
9:38am, 23 Nov 2021
967 posts
  •  
Tazsedai
I read that Rafe Judkins wanted 10 episodes with a 2hr intro but was pushed to 8 which explains it feeling rushed. The bonus content is excellent, love the animation.
Nov 2021
6:44pm, 26 Nov 2021
5,677 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Ep 4 and payday Pizza :-)
Nov 2021
7:13pm, 26 Nov 2021
1,958 posts
  •  
Heinzster
I enjoyed episode 4. There is character and world building, with further changes from the books to facilitate those. There are definite nudges towards who is the Dragon, I am hoping they don't go very off track and pick someone different!

About This Thread

Maintained by Heinzster
I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time book series and the first three episodes of the new TV adaptation arrive today. Are there any Fetchies (NB, NOT fetches, that is an entirely different animal) who plan to watch and discuss?
I'm aware there may be some who are new to the series so be sensitive to long term spoilers.