Wheel of Time

2 lurkers | 15 watchers
Nov 2021
7:36am, 19 Nov 2021
1,939 posts
  •  
Heinzster
I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time book series and the first three episodes of the new TV adaptation arrive today. Are there any Fetchies (NB, NOT fetches, that is an entirely different animal) who plan to watch and discuss?
I'm aware there may be some who are new to the series so be sensitive to long term spoilers.
Nov 2021
9:29am, 19 Nov 2021
40,242 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Haven't seen it, heard the news headline asking "would it be Amazon's version of Game of Thrones?" Does that sound like a fair comparison? Sorry to not be a WoT aficionado! :-) G
Nov 2021
9:36am, 19 Nov 2021
740 posts
  •  
The Mussile
It's similar to GoT in that the Author lost his way massively and produced at least 5 books worth of unnecessary filler (before dropping dead).
Nov 2021
10:00am, 19 Nov 2021
1,940 posts
  •  
Heinzster
But they were then completed well!

It is in a GoT type world, there is more of the magical system on display. The books are a lot less raunchy than GoT but who knows how the series will pan out.
Nov 2021
4:51pm, 19 Nov 2021
507 posts
  •  
CasB
I'm planning to watch Heinzster, but will likely be quite behind as my TV watching time is a bit limited at the moment with various other commitments. I did a massive read through of all the books several years ago as the long pauses between each one coming out meant that I forgot what had happened previously! Completely agree re the filler and how well Brandon Sanderson completed them. (Just wish he'd complete some of the other stuff he's started now too!)

I'd have thought some of this, especially the magic / power bits, was pretty hard to film so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it.
Nov 2021
8:04pm, 19 Nov 2021
1,941 posts
  •  
Heinzster
Half way through the first episode, cinematography is beautiful. Some deviations from the books already, but nothing I can't live with.
Nov 2021
8:40pm, 19 Nov 2021
5,666 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Watched the first three. Hopefully it will get better...
Nov 2021
7:46am, 20 Nov 2021
1,943 posts
  •  
Heinzster
I've watched the first three. I really enjoyed them. I think the casting is good and the inconsistencies aren't overly intrusive. Mashadar is completely different, perhaps because the written description looks very like how the show portrays the one power.
The chase sequences seemed a bit jerky but that may be my Internet struggling to keep up.
Nov 2021
5:54pm, 20 Nov 2021
5,668 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Hmm.... Need to re-read but thought there were some large differences
Nov 2021
6:39pm, 20 Nov 2021
5,669 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
So far there have been TV versions of fantasy books I read as a kid.

Shannara - MTV rubbish
Sword of Truth - Was iffy and really didn't follow the books
GoT - Hadn't read but ended badly, once I did read couldn't see how the TV could follow the book cleanly.
LotR - Film not TV but pretty well done
Hobbit - Was there a book , absolute shite no follow to the book

Wheel of Time - 3 eps down no follow to the book current rating 5/10.

Haven't heard of anything about TV for the David Eddings books.... yet

About This Thread

Maintained by Heinzster
I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time book series and the first three episodes of the new TV adaptation arrive today. Are there any Fetchies (NB, NOT fetches, that is an entirely different animal) who plan to watch and discuss?
I'm aware there may be some who are new to the series so be sensitive to long term spoilers.