Ultra Marathons

455 watchers
7 May
10:56pm, 7 May 2024
8,800 posts
  •  
Pothunter
The first (and only) time I went skiing I nearly swatted someone across the face with my ski pole as I not so gracefully dismounted the chair lift and lost my balance.

I could see how someone who’s not used to running with poles could be a liability but the flip side is that we all have to start somewhere!
8 May
12:18am, 8 May 2024
21,230 posts
  •  
flanker
I've often encountered inconsiderate pole users on races (as well as many considerate ones). The problem (usually) isn't when they are using them, but when they are carrying them. They carry them points-backwards, often near-horizontal, and wave them around.

If you're carrying poles at least carry them points-forward so you can see who you are impaling, and better still carry them folded or put them back on your pack.
8 May
6:58am, 8 May 2024
19,479 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I assumed UTMB would be an absolute car crash with poles but it was fine - possibly because everyone uses the pretty much constantly after the first flat 10k. Likewise Lakeland was fine too

And I was at the back to middle of the pack
12 May
7:11am, 12 May 2024
881 posts
  •  
Fenners-Reborn
Has anybody, that likes olives, tried eating olives during an Ultra? It is just they (olives) tick most boxes, e.g. easy to carry, not effected by heat, etc.
12 May
8:31am, 12 May 2024
19,504 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Scott Jurek experimented with olive oil. I don’t think it went well. A few olives would work though - Dean katnazses did something similar is his Sparta book but I haven’t read that one
12 May
9:41am, 12 May 2024
3,780 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I had some once as they were at a check point.
Nice savoury hit.

Only ate a couple though, didn't specifically take them with me. Be worth a try if you like them though.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.