The sub 3.30 marathon thread

1 lurker | 188 watchers
10:19am
10:19am, 9 May 2024
2 posts
  •  
Benny
Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome!

@MarkJ, I'll be having a crack at sub 3:30 at the Melbourne Mara, on 13 October this year.

@PotHunter and @Bowman, thanks for those links! Both very handy.
11:01am
11:01am, 9 May 2024
2,128 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
Benny wrote:Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome! @MarkJ, I'll be having a crack at sub 3:30 at the Melbourne Mara, on 13 October this year. @PotHunter and @Bowman, thanks for those links! Both very handy.

Oooo Melbourne, Australia, I hadnʻt considered nipping over the ditch for that one. I was considering Sydney in September but I think Iʻm not up for that now.
12:45pm
12:45pm, 9 May 2024
4,249 posts
  •  
tipsku
Hi Benny, welcome to fetch and this forum.

I'm just echoing what was said on the previous page. Your times over short distances are really impressive so you have the ability to run a much faster marathon but it takes time to build up the mileage to get there safely, especially if you already have some ITB issues.

I would also recommend the P&D up to 55 miles first. I took my marathon time from 3:51 down to 3:29 with it. I had similar times for the 10k in the build up to both (sub 45 min) so it really was the increase in aerobic endurance with the weekly medium long runs and long runs that helped me to keep up race pace for the whole distance. In 2022, I had hamstring issues from 18k onwards and the wheels came off past 35k.

I blogged about my experiences with the P&D 55 plan in 2023 (December 2022 - April 2023). If you want to have a look, here's the link fetcheveryone.com/blog-search.php?bid=44525&search=P%26D

I also did an in-depth review of the whole thing in January 2024 before I tried the 12 week version for this spring campaign. After having built a better base last year, it was enough for this year's sub 3:30 attempt.
2:01pm
2:01pm, 9 May 2024
11,757 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
I can echo the P&D 18 week up to 55mpw plan. I went from 4.07 to 3.29 but I did the plan twice as I was injured the first time round with a trapped nerve which I did at work.
2:51pm
2:51pm, 9 May 2024
3,420 posts
  •  
riggys99
Welcome benny
To a certain degree any of the established plan (P+D, JD, 80/20 etc plus well known internet based ones) will work if you choose one you feel you will enjoy. I would also say go for the 55 miles a week plan but you can always had a few miles here and there if you have time. Can be demoralising to be unable to reach the weekly target if you plan too many miles.

I am not following a plan as such for my November marathon just doing a hill/stride session, a tempo session and a long run with MP each week plus recovery runs. If I am racing I will do that instead of the tempo run.
Look forward to reading about your progress
4:29pm
4:29pm, 9 May 2024
2,633 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hi Benny, welcome.

Another of the “don’t follow a formal plan” runner here. Very little “quality” of any description. But I do accumulate a fair bit of volume.

Consequently I’ve tended to find that my shorter distance pb’s have been the opportunistic byproduct of chunky marathon blocks; rather than the precursor to decent marathon times. Maybe I’d have been quicker if I’d done it the other way round?!

I’m possibly a bit of an outlier, in that I don’t use a watch or any hr or timing data, purely running “to feel”. If I run with a mate I might pinch their splits, but raceday finishing times are my only solid stats.

Slightly atypical schedule for me atm as I attempt to recover from a 21/4 marathon and prepare for the next on 26/5, but I believe my training is visible to all if anyone is interested in the general ’shape’.

I’m not espousing right/wrong etc, just an alternative.

Run for fun, whatever that means to you😁

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mark J 🇳🇿
PLEASE FMAIL ME DIRECTLY WITH AN UPCOMING SUB 3:30 ATTEMPT and/or LAST YEAR'S SUCCESSES.

2024 achievers:

SailorSteve - London - 21st April - 3:17:08 SB
auburnette - London - 21st April - 3:28:47 PB
Tipsku - Leipzig, Germany - 21st April - 3:27:26 PB
Mark J - Christchurch, New Zealand - 21st April - 3:12:24 PB

2024 Sub 3:30 Attempts:

May 12th - Regensburg, Germany - ptr_runner
May 26th - Edinburgh - SailorSteve
Oct 13th - Melbourne, Australia - Benny
Nov 3rd - Istanbul, Turkey - SailorSteve
Nov 23/24 - Cleethorpes Maravan - Riggys99
Dec 1st - Valencia, Spain - auburnette