Olympics Paris 2024

5 lurkers | 46 watchers
um
21 May
5:19pm, 21 May 2024
8,478 posts
  •  
um
Curly - try [ USER 43889 ] without the spaces either end ...
um
21 May
5:29pm, 21 May 2024
8,479 posts
  •  
um
RainbowRider looks good, even though nothing is definite until selection is announced.
She got 3 silver places in the Track World Champs in Rio, although second in each to another GB pair.
She's just won the UCI Road World Cup (winning 2 Road Races, 1 TT and 3rd in the other TT, top rider and top GB pair. Winning is great, top GB pair is probably better.

What isn't known (to me) is how many female spaces GB will get. Probably 7, which will mean one of the top female riders is likely to miss out. The number is across all female paracycling classes, so getting selected for GB is almost harder than the actual events!

But the last 2 weeks must have helped her. Especially as the road race wins were by 3 mins or more.

But as her father, I may not be the best one to ask for an honest assessment!

I do need to load the ticket app thing and sort out what they've allocated us.
21 May
5:34pm, 21 May 2024
2,527 posts
  •  
Jen HB
Saw something today about a qr code needed for accessing various parts of Paris during the Olympics (I didn't read the article as I'm not going) but I guess if you've got tickets you're already aware....
um
21 May
5:46pm, 21 May 2024
8,480 posts
  •  
um
I'm hoping they able bodied events sort out any issues, so the para events will be a lot easier. And probably a lot less people.

(I do have access to a 'friends and family' support group, so can ask or submit any general questions about logistics, security, transport etc, if there's anything you want me to ask)
21 May
6:14pm, 21 May 2024
4,695 posts
  •  
Curly45
um that does sound positive. Always good to put distance/time into rivals for spots.

Jen HB Saw something about QRs, but the tickets are in the app so who knows how it will all work. Am sure volunteers will be on hand to help if needed.

Sill need to work out the metro app...I've watched a video on how it works, but suspect it wont be obvious until we are there.
um
21 May
6:29pm, 21 May 2024
8,482 posts
  •  
um
Curly45

That tagging worked for me!

(and another positive, GB Cycling have just spent many many £1000s on a new TT bike for Jenny and Sophie. They didn't for 2021 because it wouldn't have been delivered in time, but I'm assuming they wouldn't 'now' just for the fun of it)
21 May
6:51pm, 21 May 2024
3,165 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I'm intrigued how the ticketing works for family & friends of competitors um ?

Do you get allocated some via UK Sport or have access to a special category on the ticketing website?

My parents had friends who went to watch their son at the KL Commonwealth games many years ago. They did say that they had no access to cheaper travel..!
um
21 May
7:02pm, 21 May 2024
8,485 posts
  •  
um
No special privileges Mushroom - at least not now. Other than information around when ticketing opened.

But - each athlete does get access to 2 tickets, so nearer the time, you can get those. But they are allocated independently and not seated with any other tickets applied for or purchased,

My tickets were the normal ... I was sat and ready and typing as fast as I could as soon as they opened. For anyone and everyone. No special treatment. And unlikely to be used, or refunded/resold if if all goes pear-shaped.
17 Jul
4:29pm, 17 Jul 2024
4,731 posts
  •  
Curly45
Hi all, looks like Paris metro tickets are undergoing a price hike from Saturday till September.

You can buy them on the metro app in blocks of 10, currently €17 will go to €32, so worth doing for those definitely attending events. We will do ours later today.
um
17 Jul
4:54pm, 17 Jul 2024
8,672 posts
  •  
um
Curly - I'm wondering about the 10 day (or maybe a 6&4 / 7&3) pass parisbytrain.com rathe than individual tickets.

Or even take a car from CDG, and only buy occasional days, since 2 days will be arrival/depart, 2 days walking to the velodrome, 2 days at the road cycling, and then 4 others for sight seeing, recovering, to be decided.

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Couldn't find a thread so thought I would start one.

Who else is off to watch or who is watching at home?

We're doing Lille and Paris and a mix of sports. Currently trying to find travel insurance that includes ticket cancellation as some of the trains in the UK might be difficult and we have some internal French trains to do as well.

Also need to work out the new Paris metro ticket/app combo (Navigo I think).