Oasis

1 lurker | 9 watchers
27 Aug
10:40am, 27 Aug 2024
12,807 posts
  •  
Joopsy
We do have 5 definitely now though so desire on here is growing. Granted, this site is probably not the ideal Oasis demographic.
27 Aug
11:08am, 27 Aug 2024
32,733 posts
  •  
Maclennane
You don't have to like them - why would you want to like them, you can like your mate next door, and get very uncomfortable when he gets a guitar out...

They were a big deal, iconic, with a bit of rock star snarl about them, granted I can't listen to much beyond the second album, but they were always bound to shake apart.
27 Aug
11:20am, 27 Aug 2024
12,808 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Lol @Maclennane, you still spinning that Gary Glitter stuff?

I agree though.
27 Aug
11:28am, 27 Aug 2024
25,428 posts
  •  
larkim
Yep, I do agree about their "impact" as a band. As much as it pains me to say, they were bigger than Blur and the Stone Roses even if those two would be the centre points around which my musical taste from the late 80s to mid 90s coalesce.

Some undoubtedly great "pop" songs that will stand the test of time.

My whinge about them is that they didn't progress their sound over the 11 years they were releasing material. But to be fair, that's not uncommon these days; the age of the Beatles with their progress over 8 years of albums is long gone, and whilst some great bands do change and update more than others, it's not hard to see why they would stick to a product which does well commercially.
27 Aug
11:35am, 27 Aug 2024
32,734 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I think there's a difference between liking a band despite them being knobs, and being part of a cult of personality despite the leader turning out to be a predatory paedophile, but stil Lol, Joops, whatever gets the laughs
27 Aug
11:41am, 27 Aug 2024
12,809 posts
  •  
Joopsy
The art still stands Mac, even if the artist is a wrong un. For the benefit of all, I don't own any Glitter records.
27 Aug
11:58am, 27 Aug 2024
25,430 posts
  •  
larkim
That's a deep debate, especially with music.

Still, the Gallagher brothers were / are knobs. But that's an accepted part of their swagger / appeal. If they can gig as well next year as they did when they were at their peak, I'm sure everyone will have a great time, and their personal bank balances will swell greatly!

Will be most interesting to see if they release any new material and if that has any depth to it.
27 Aug
12:16pm, 27 Aug 2024
11,292 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Joopsy wrote:Lol @Maclennane, you still spinning that Gary Glitter stuff? I agree though.

My name is Eynsham Red……. and I went to see Gary Glitter at the Bristol Hippodrome sometime during the 70’s
27 Aug
12:18pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,736 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Not sure about new material, Noel appears to have become a Travelling Wilbury, not sure that Liam can fit with that style
27 Aug
2:06pm, 27 Aug 2024
50,780 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Never liked the music or the culture, don't understand why it is "news" or newsworthy now.

Just a matter of opinion though, like all music. To those who like them, hope you get tickets / enjoy any music that comes out. I can choose not to listen to it. And will! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Joopsy