FOOTBALL

1 lurker | 161 watchers
8 Sep
9:58am, 8 Sep 2024
4,468 posts
  •  
Cheg
England international football is now at a level where you are judged as manager purely by your final tournament performance. All the rest is fluff.

Don’t qualify - Wally with the brolly - sacked

Out at group stages - see ya, you loser.

Early knockout stages - oh another Woy. Sacked
Quarters - Ode to Sven - maybe give you another tournament if you’re lucky.
Semis or runners-up - we have the best squad ever created. Huge under performance. Win the next one or you’re gone.
Winners - this can go two ways. Course you won it it’s the best squad in the world ever, innit. Do it again and I might be impressed.

Alternatively it’s Southgate bashing time. See I told you we should have won three major tournaments in a row, if only he had taken the handbrake off.
8 Sep
10:39am, 8 Sep 2024
12,851 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Time to sack McKenna, never won a game in the Prem and was part of a disastrous United coaching set up.

Clearly I don't think that, but you can spin any narrative your own way.
8 Sep
10:43am, 8 Sep 2024
43,764 posts
  •  
Nellers
Just so, Joopsy. Mostly the spin seems to be whatever will sell papers or drive clicks.
8 Sep
11:34am, 8 Sep 2024
6,377 posts
  •  
paulcook
Talking of English coaches, how about this for a coaching progression:

Fleetwood Town -> Bristol Rovers -> Stockport County -> Real Madrid!
8 Sep
11:39am, 8 Sep 2024
43,765 posts
  •  
Nellers
Who's done that, then?
8 Sep
11:42am, 8 Sep 2024
6,378 posts
  •  
paulcook
Andy Mangan supposedly. Not sure the move to Madrid and Carlo Ancelotti has been confirmed but that would be some move. I very probably saw him play early on in his equally undistinguished playing career. I hadn't even heard of him until Friday.
8 Sep
1:04pm, 8 Sep 2024
1,403 posts
  •  
Fenners-Reborn
It's football, there is no right or wrong. Never liked Southgate, never liked the brand of football. Sort of a Mourinho without any panache. He, in my opinion, has wasted the talent at his disposal. Yesterday was a weakened England team with a number of players missing. I particularly enjoyed what the new manager did with Rice and Grealish, and quess what, they both scored.

It has been said time and time again. I'd rather lose playing attractive positive football, then lose playing dull uninteresting football.

And Joopsy, I'd take relegation now. And how many other managers have gone from 1st to Premier League consecutively? Keegan with Newcastle United... there will be others. But I can't remember them. Perhaps Kinnear with Wimbledon. And I won't google it, as that is cheating.
8 Sep
1:10pm, 8 Sep 2024
27,368 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Graham Taylor at Watford?
8 Sep
1:13pm, 8 Sep 2024
12,852 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Chris Wilder and Nigel Adkins.
8 Sep
1:14pm, 8 Sep 2024
12,853 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Just off the top of my head.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.