•  
Diogenes
Sounds less savoury than CMODE
11 Sep
7:53am, 11 Sep 2024
153,312 posts
  •  
GregP
The tone is more Tom and Jerry than Silence of the Lambs.
11 Sep
7:54am, 11 Sep 2024
54,505 posts
  •  
McGoohan
It's more that the characters are either dislikeable or one dimensional or both. It keeps introducing some comedy lowlife and they either die straight away or turn out to be someone we're expected to care for.

I see why Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen have been mentioned. The writing is a sort of gonzo sub Hiaasen. But the best characters, Sean and
David are lifted straight from Joe R Lansdale's Hap and Leonard stories. Elmore Leonard often writes about lowlife characters but he does it with charm somehow.

I really did give it a try but it just annoyed me at every turn.
11 Sep
8:23am, 11 Sep 2024
153,316 posts
  •  
GregP
I’m amazed it’s taken this long for someone to use the word gonzo.

McG’s set up at the top of the thread is in a lot of ways perfect.
13 Sep
8:51am, 13 Sep 2024
9,125 posts
  •  
westmoors
Finished this last night. The cover says 'twisted hilarity' but I didn't find any humour in it. Maybe that was because I just never really got into it and found it a grind.
7:08am
7:08am, 20 Sep 2024
153,478 posts
  •  
GregP
The Carl Hiaasen cameo was sweet

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
As Scott Mariani is to Dan Brown, as Obi-Wan Kenobi was to Qui-Gon Jinn and as Abbott and Costello were to Laurel and Hardy so Tim Dorsey was to Carl Hiaasen, the young padawan, studying at his master’s side and if need be, riffling through his bins for material. In some cases it works brilliantly – just look at Obi-Wan’s skill with a lightsabre for example. Sometimes, not so well, e.g. Scott Mariani’s ongoing struggle with basic grammar. Which will this be? In only 285 pages’ time you will have the answer.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,144 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here