Florida Roadkill - Book Group September 2024 discussion thread

6 watchers
27 Aug
2:41pm, 27 Aug 2024
54,453 posts
  •  
McGoohan
As Scott Mariani is to Dan Brown, as Obi-Wan Kenobi was to Qui-Gon Jinn and as Abbott and Costello were to Laurel and Hardy so Tim Dorsey was to Carl Hiaasen, the young padawan, studying at his master’s side and if need be, riffling through his bins for material. In some cases it works brilliantly – just look at Obi-Wan’s skill with a lightsabre for example. Sometimes, not so well, e.g. Scott Mariani’s ongoing struggle with basic grammar. Which will this be? In only 285 pages’ time you will have the answer.
27 Aug
2:49pm, 27 Aug 2024
153,135 posts
  •  
GregP
Good work chief :)

Carl Hiaasen taken to extremes. It’s a terrifying thought. Can’t wait.
1 Sep
9:35pm, 1 Sep 2024
153,185 posts
  •  
GregP
My paperback - a Farrago - is a lovely thing. Nice paper, nice glossy cover.
1 Sep
9:44pm, 1 Sep 2024
54,467 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I have a weird second-hand one that seems to have been a library copy. It has plastic folders stuck to the cover.
1 Sep
10:09pm, 1 Sep 2024
46,308 posts
  •  
Night-owl
My copy (harper collins) supposedly in fair condition is not bad and cost £5.99:when published
4 Sep
12:57pm, 4 Sep 2024
153,224 posts
  •  
GregP
Forty pages in I've just bought the next two. There are holidays coming up.
7 Sep
11:14am, 7 Sep 2024
153,247 posts
  •  
GregP
Half way. I’m loving it, and fairly confidently predicting that I’m in a minority of one.
10 Sep
10:30pm, 10 Sep 2024
54,503 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I got to page 74 and that was enough. It was the introduction of the three 'comedy bikers' Stinky, Dick Cheese and Scrotum or whatever. I have hurled the book aside and stamped on it a few times but it's like Freddy Krueger: it just won't die!

The quality of writing is, I suppose, better than Scott Mariani but I enjoyed reading that a lot more.

I suspect most readers will be positioned somewhere between your and my reaction Grep. I am definitely at the other end of the bell curve.
11 Sep
5:58am, 11 Sep 2024
153,308 posts
  •  
GregP
Stinky, Cheese-Dick and Ringworm.
11 Sep
7:43am, 11 Sep 2024
54,504 posts
  •  
McGoohan
That's not an improvement

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
As Scott Mariani is to Dan Brown, as Obi-Wan Kenobi was to Qui-Gon Jinn and as Abbott and Costello were to Laurel and Hardy so Tim Dorsey was to Carl Hiaasen, the young padawan, studying at his master’s side and if need be, riffling through his bins for material. In some cases it works brilliantly – just look at Obi-Wan’s skill with a lightsabre for example. Sometimes, not so well, e.g. Scott Mariani’s ongoing struggle with basic grammar. Which will this be? In only 285 pages’ time you will have the answer.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,144 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here