Nicholls595
GregP wrote:Mrs Brown’s Boys ~drops mic~

Can't argue with that. Game over
2 Aug
7:12am, 2 Aug 2024
32,000 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
As always in deathmatchland we start off with forgotten/obscure British sitcoms, move on to crap sitcoms, then someone mentions a septic show. Outside of Married with Children, I can't think of any American sitcom that was anything but crap.
2 Aug
7:52am, 2 Aug 2024
28,144 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Allo Allo made my skin crawl.
2 Aug
8:16am, 2 Aug 2024
28,145 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Basil Brush was a chirpy, likeable little chap.

I liked him.

He’ll win this. Then if we do a ventriloquist’s dummy DM I’d take him to see off Emu, Nookie Bear, that fucking arse Orville and even Lamb Chop to secure the double W.
2 Aug
8:32am, 2 Aug 2024
32,001 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
TROSaracen wrote:Basil Brush was a chirpy, likeable little chap. I liked him. He’ll win this. Then if we do a ventriloquist’s dummy DM I’d take him to see off Emu, Nookie Bear, that fucking arse Orville and even Lamb Chop to secure the double W.

Cheeky monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D49d75blINA
2 Aug
8:57am, 2 Aug 2024
39,405 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Taxi and Soap used to make me laugh.
2 Aug
9:00am, 2 Aug 2024
67,175 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
George and Mildred wouldn’t make you laugh
2 Aug
9:16am, 2 Aug 2024
32,003 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
I think it's unfair to judge 70's and 80's sitcoms by today's standards. The world is a completely different place now* Just because people who weren't even born when programmes were first aired get "offended" by something, doesn't mean it wasn't funny at the time.

* To illustrate this, I had a conversation with a 20 year old last week who had never heard of Frank Skinner. Never mind Benny Hill or Dick Emerey, he had no idea who Frank Skinner was. Imagine his reaction if he was exposed to On the Buses or 'allo 'allo?
2 Aug
9:21am, 2 Aug 2024
152,721 posts
  •  
GregP
Quite Nico.

I like a lot of American sitcoms. MASH and Cheers for the nostalgia, OMITB because it is freaking *epic*. Silicone Valley (comedy drama I suppose but one of my favourite shows of all time). Scrubs (ditto on all counts). 30 Rock (like don’t love but it’s an institution).
2 Aug
9:28am, 2 Aug 2024
21,593 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
TROSaracen wrote:Basil Brush was a chirpy, likeable little chap. I liked him. He’ll win this.
I remember finding him pretty unfunny even as a small child. Youtube clips don't seem so bad though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqBWlJ11m0w

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Deathmatch closed 21/08/24
===

GOLD: Basil Brush, a fictional fox on British television

SILVER: Toothbrush, a brush designed for cleaning teeth

BRONZE: Pastry brush, also known as a basting brush, a cooking utensil used to spread oil or glaze on food
BRONZE: Paintbrush, a brush used to apply paint or ink