Cats in Boxes

3 lurkers | 97 watchers
Dec 2021
11:51am, 6 Dec 2021
1,373 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Two cats are missing in my village for the last week, from houses maybe 100m apart, not discovered away at exactly the same time, coincidence or perhaps something more sinister?

Or am I too suspicious? Met a woman out searching for hers yesterday, it was horrible.
Dec 2021
11:54am, 6 Dec 2021
29,507 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
oh no how awful
Our boys are indoor cats .. we'd be mortified if they were out and anything happened to them
Dec 2021
11:57am, 6 Dec 2021
1,374 posts
  •  
Ally-C
There was a huge storm here last Friday and trees down everywhere, if they’re not used to be out they would’ve been terrified.
Dec 2021
12:00pm, 6 Dec 2021
29,508 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Mum's cat was terrified at the weekend as they kept having power cuts and her alarm wouldn't turn off
Dec 2021
12:22pm, 6 Dec 2021
11,782 posts
  •  
Sweetie
It has become apparent that we are feeding a 'guest' cat on a regular basis who is sneaking in through our cat flap.
I don't begrudge a stray cat some food but I don't really want him in the house, he's in quite a state. I would like to get him to the vets and for a check-up and see if he has a microchip but I can't get within 10ft of him, he's really skittish.
Anyone have any experience of the microchip cat flaps? Are they any good?
Dec 2021
12:28pm, 6 Dec 2021
1,376 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I couldn’t get our microchip cat flap to sync with our cats, you’re meant to do it pre fit & we tried it post fit, d’oh!
Dec 2021
12:28pm, 6 Dec 2021
1,377 posts
  •  
Ally-C
I’m not sure how great a difference it makes pre & post tbf. Just wouldn’t work.
Dec 2021
12:32pm, 6 Dec 2021
24,475 posts
  •  
Serendippily
We did manage to get one working although Prim was so terrified by everything we’ve given up with it. Worked for our old cat though bar the occasional slipstream
Dec 2021
12:57pm, 6 Dec 2021
8,554 posts
  •  
sallykate
We have one and it worked well for the cats we had when we got it. I have trained it for our current two but Ellie's chip is nowhere near her neck (they put in her spay wound) and I'm not convinced it would work for her, so I have it on freely in / out.

This enabled an escaped neighbour's cat to come into the flat - but as I could change the flap to allow things in but not out that meant he was trapped and I could return him.
Dec 2021
1:09pm, 6 Dec 2021
170 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
We've just installed a Cat Mate microchip cat flap. Tested it first in a random bit of wood blocking an indoor door - both cats could be programed, both cats could open it. Then put it in the door - worked for little cat, didn't work for big cat. DUH. Turned out we just needed to tune the cat flap for the uPVC. Then had to retrain him as he was reaching out with a forefoot - sensor and chip completely out of range. The door is now working beautifully! Both cats clattering through happily. Previously I'd tried a SureFlap, but it never recognised big cat.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!