Boston Marathon (USA) as a Slower Runner

1 lurker | 5 watchers
Apr 2023
7:13pm, 18 Apr 2023
6,976 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Hello fetch hive mind. I’ve been giving some thought to what I might like to do to celebrate my 40th birthday (incoming in 2025). I considered a 40 mile ultra but think that’s beyond reach

Seeing all the posts and now watching the coverage from Boston, I’m wondering if my 40th marathon at Boston could be the one.

I’ll never be able to qualify, but would be willing to fundraise and chuck a fair amount of cash at it… does anybody have any experience of doing it this way, and any tips?
Apr 2023
7:22pm, 18 Apr 2023
5,112 posts
  •  
FreshStart
I know someone who used 2:09 to get a place in Boston 209events.com and her blog gabiruns.com I dread to think how much it costs now.
Apr 2023
7:28pm, 18 Apr 2023
6,977 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Thank you!
Apr 2023
7:47pm, 18 Apr 2023
26,563 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I’ve no idea about the fund raising entry aspect but Boston is a magnificent, iconic marathon - different and far more characterful than the other majors.

Sadly my Boston was 2013, the bombs year - I finished but it soured the experience and post race. I’ve resolved to go back just not eked out the right time yet despite a few qualifying times.

So if you can make it happen absolutely go for it! And train lots on hills…..
Apr 2023
8:00pm, 18 Apr 2023
36 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
I qualified for the 123d Boston Marathon in 2019.
But I know some people who got in with a travel agency.

Could that be an option for you ?
Apr 2023
8:00pm, 18 Apr 2023
46,366 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Presumably they must do charity places? And as FS says, I think there are "tours" you can pay for entry, but not many. Might be worth having a look at the results to see how many folk are finishing in the higher times (not that you're slow M_N, you know what I mean!)

Obviously London has loads of charity runners. It's actually a bit quiet at the 3 hour end, much louder and busier crowds at 4 and 5 and 6 hours, in my experience. Not sure how Boston would be?

Boston was my 50th birthday present to myself. And it was great. :-)

Very best of luck. I'm treating myself to overseas marathons now too. Life's a celebration and all that! :-) G
Apr 2023
8:27pm, 18 Apr 2023
2,366 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hey Metro_Nome All I can say is, if you can find a way, do it!

fwiw here’s my 2019 blog. As you can tell, I loved it. fetcheveryone.com/blog-share.php?id=392523
Apr 2023
8:54pm, 18 Apr 2023
38 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Great blog SS. You describe the weather really well.
Like four seasons in one day.
A torrential downpour before the start, sitting in wet old socks and old shoes in the yellow buses and at the end getting a little sunburn during the final miles.
Apr 2023
9:09pm, 18 Apr 2023
2,367 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Thanks Charlesvdw such a memorable day eh?
Apr 2023
10:00pm, 18 Apr 2023
39 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
It was.

The 123rd edition, easy to remember.

In 2018 I ran a 3:36 marathon and I told my wife "if I ever qualify for Boston, we go".
One year later I ran 3:19 and qualified (with only a 50 sec margin).

I don't do bucket lists, but if I did, qualifying for and running the Boston Marathon would have been on it.

Ran a 3:26 in Boston while probably in 3:13 shape. The downhill on the first half took its toll on my quads, and the hills in the second half did the rest.

But it's an iconic race, and the only American marathon I want(ed) to run.

About This Thread

Maintained by Metro_Nome
Hello fetch hive mind. I’ve been giving some thought to what I might like to do to celebrate my 40th birthday (incoming in 2025). I considered a 40 mile ultra but think that’s beyond reach

Seeing all the posts and now watching the coverage from Boston, I’m wondering if my 40th marathon at Boston could be the one.

I’ll never be able to qualify, but would be willing to fundraise and chuck a fair amount of cash at it… does anybody have any experience of doing it this way, and any t...