Where are all the running events?

2 lurkers | 8 watchers
16 Sep
4:54pm, 16 Sep 2024
7,438 posts
  •  
Blister
I know Fetch has a pretty comprehensive database of running events, but it still depends on member contributions. I tend to run track races (800m/1500m) and almost always have to add the event I'm running to the database myself because no one else on Fetch is doing it - and track races are notoriously tedious to find.

For a long time, I've had this idea of writing some software to aggregate events from different directories (like Power of 10, Roster Athletics, etc) into one place, so instead of having to go off on a wild goose chase trying to find a race, you have one place to look.

A friend and I are starting a new business venture (called Runner's Rewards) and one of the features we want is to have a database of all running events/races in the UK. So my question is, is there already such a database? It seems logical that you must have to register your race/event with an official organisation like England Athletics (I know England Athletics does have an events list on their website, but it doesn't seem to be comprehensive). I wonder if only races that are officially measured would be included in such a database?
16 Sep
5:21pm, 16 Sep 2024
31,058 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
If I knew that, I'd be importing them :)
16 Sep
5:35pm, 16 Sep 2024
4,033 posts
  •  
Shades
We'd all love a comprehensive race listing.

Re EA, they list permitted events on what was formerly RunBritain website.

I assume track events are on EA website, separately from road and trail.

Then there's the TRA, Fell Runners, I believe they're listed separately

ARC permit a fair few events too, road and trail.

Orienteering and Canicross, not sure which body permit those.

I expect I've forgotten some disciplines.
16 Sep
5:44pm, 16 Sep 2024
6,460 posts
  •  
paulcook
Bet there was no single list before t'interweb came along!
16 Sep
5:48pm, 16 Sep 2024
3,338 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I did start a thread years ago - with various event links - but never kept it going.

Some of the links are still valid. Can use them to start a new list?

fetcheveryone.com/forum/race-lists---calendar---links-52545/
16 Sep
6:03pm, 16 Sep 2024
4,035 posts
  •  
Shades
paulcook wrote:Bet there was no single list before t'interweb came along!

When I started running there were annual diaries printed with races, we had one for the South West.

Road Runners Club used to produce a marathon and ultra race diary. I was the editor for a couple of years, it was like our bible.
16 Sep
6:06pm, 16 Sep 2024
1,507 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
I used to put a weekly Sunday morning 5k thing local to me in the Fetch listings, but that stopped happening a few years ago. Those kinds of events are reliant on a Fetchie (a) knowing they exist and (b) popping them on the database. There must be quite a few similar events - it had local council support but was a bit off the radar generally, which is probably why it fizzled out.
16 Sep
6:36pm, 16 Sep 2024
7,439 posts
  •  
Blister
Thanks, Shades and Mushroom, I'll check out some of those sources.

I have to admit, it used to be a lot harder, I remember relying on either being told about an event by a fellow club runner or getting a flyer in a post-race goodie bag.

I had a feeling there wasn't a central database with all this stuff in, but it's always checking first!

I think I'll be busy over the next few weeks looking into open-source web scraping frameworks for .NET!
16 Sep
6:42pm, 16 Sep 2024
3,339 posts
  •  
Mushroom
I remember getting back to my car after an event to find my windscreen wipers holding down 4 or 5 flyers / entry forms for upcoming races..!
16 Sep
6:44pm, 16 Sep 2024
4,040 posts
  •  
Shades
Yes, leaflets on the car, still happens now and then.

About This Thread

Maintained by Blister
I know Fetch has a pretty comprehensive database of running events, but it still depends on member contributions. I tend to run track races (800m/1500m) and almost always have to add the event I'm running to the database myself because no one else on Fetch is doing it - and track races are notoriously tedious to find.

For a long time, I've had this idea of writing some software to aggregate events from different directories (like Power of 10, Roster Athletics, etc) into one place, s...