Cats in Boxes

6 lurkers | 97 watchers
3 Sep
8:41am, 3 Sep 2024
23,317 posts
  •  
RichHL
Fred likes to go outside in his harness until he sees someone and then he bolts for home. Daisy won't have the harness at all.
3 Sep
9:59am, 3 Sep 2024
76,366 posts
  •  
GlennR
This is what I found in the morning:

3 Sep
10:00am, 3 Sep 2024
76,367 posts
  •  
GlennR
Which then became this:

3 Sep
10:23am, 3 Sep 2024
102 posts
  •  
peanut
I am trying to harness train Mila but she won't have any of it!
3 Sep
11:01am, 3 Sep 2024
15,039 posts
  •  
hellen
We got Seren when she was 4.

First time harness, falls over like she is drunk. Unfortunately she wasn’t so keen to go outside as Daisey was so it was harder.

Stage 1 - one of us take Daisey in harness in back garden, other of us sits in garden with Seren in the carrier so she can see what is going on
Stage 2 - open carrier to let Seren come out (no harness) and have an explore. She is not a climber, our garden is fairly secure but needed to keep close eye on her.
Stage 3 - when she seemed to be enjoying going out in the garden from the carrier we went out with her from the back door
Stage 4 - when she was waiting at the door to go out so clearly enjoyed it get the harness on and as quick as possible get her outside so she doesn’t have time to think about what is going on. As soon as outside she was fine with the harness
Stage 5 - once she was happy with harness and going out the back we went to the front,
Now she is fine with harness but she doesn’t always want to go out or go far.
Daisey a different matter, she has to go out every day and creates when it’s time to go. We trained her as a kitten so much easier, she still did the falling over drunk thing though. Now she comes running when she hears the harness!

Here they are both waiting to go out. Seren is front in line when she decides she wants to go…
7 Sep
2:02pm, 7 Sep 2024
337 posts
  •  
Old Mum
Good to know I won't be the only 'cat walker', although I'm sure the neighbours will have something to say. Initially, it would just to let him get to know the area (once he's old enough to go out). But after that there is a very good chance he'll be coming on holiday with us (me and two dogs). I suppose the earlier I get him started with it, the better.
7 Sep
3:46pm, 7 Sep 2024
103 posts
  •  
peanut
Mila is passed the falling over drunk stage but is stubborn and will not move when in the harness. I have made some progress in that she has made it to the communal hallway, but there are quite a few flights of stairs before we make it outside. She has been out before at my old place (without a harness) so I know she likes being outside.

She has also recently learnt to open doors!
7 Sep
3:47pm, 7 Sep 2024
104 posts
  •  
peanut
@Old Mum holiday with cat sounds great!
7 Sep
8:30pm, 7 Sep 2024
338 posts
  •  
Old Mum
@peanut , I've usually camped with the dogs, but this past couple of years have found some great pet friendly places up north. Most aren't keen on cats, so if it comes to it we'll just wild camp with Milo on a harness or in his backpack.

My workmates think I'm on some kind of spectrum when I say I can't see this kind of holiday being an issue!
8 Sep
12:16am, 8 Sep 2024
76,413 posts
  •  
GlennR
Tilly has had a hard day.

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
All the cat people out there know that cats love boxes, so go on then and lets see you feline friend. Boxes optional :) This is the cat appreciation thread along with Miaow, Purr, Yawn!