Miaow, Purr, Yawn!

1 lurker | 67 watchers
Jan 2017
4:07pm, 30 Jan 2017
7,560 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
I think perhaps I should stop watching this thread.
Strangely, I seem to be missing my ginger moggie more as time goes by, not less.
I would love another cat but for reasons I won't bore you with, it's just not possible.
Feb 2017
8:37pm, 8 Feb 2017
1,013 posts
  •  
shyfire
Advice please. Back in September I adopted a ginger tabby Ruby. I started letting her into the garden for an hour or so in November. All seemed fine the first few weeks, then she started being chased back inside by neighbouring cats. There are 3 cats (who all live in the same house) staking out the garden and harassing her whenever she goes out. Doesn't matter what time of the day there always seems to be one about. One in particular seems to delight in chasing at the conservatory glass when she is sitting inside - with the result that she is going crazy trying to get back at it. So far I have had 2 trips to the vets for cat bites and again tonight ... I let her out since she asked(and hasn't usually been asking) .... another fight (I'm assuming with the cat who sneaked in whilst she was out and ate her dinner!). No obvious injuries but may yet need another trip for antibiotics. She is quite clearly stressed and very jumpy. Any ideas on how I can deter the other cats from the garden I'm at my wits end?
Feb 2017
9:18pm, 8 Feb 2017
2,812 posts
  •  
Cyclops
This is a tricky one and one only solved here when our cuddly domestic tabby was joined by a feral kitten and then another young cat from an overcrowded house on a council estate who had had to fight its corner there. Those two soon terrorised all the other cats out of our garden. The dog was hopeless at defending the territory from cats! Otherwise accompanying your cat outside is one way they can go out safely - at least in the summer when it is light and warmer.
Feb 2017
9:56pm, 8 Feb 2017
1,505 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Does she have a litter tray indoors? If so, you could try scattering some of her used litter about the garden so her scent gets out there and that might deter the other cats.

I had some success with using my cats' litter to ward off the cat that was crapping on the front lawn of my old house (the cats I had then were mostly house cats).
Feb 2017
10:29pm, 8 Feb 2017
1,014 posts
  •  
shyfire
Yes she has a litter tray, under current circumstances I've held off getting a cat flap put back in so she's inside all day when I'm at work. Litter trick sounds worth a go. Was planning just 1 cat though to be fair didn't have this problem several years ago with several cats and a dog. The dog chased all cats who weren't part of his pack!
Feb 2017
11:22pm, 9 Feb 2017
5,197 posts
  •  
Winded
Litter scattering works.

We have a catflap that reads the rf chip in the cat's neck. It only lets her in; they are not perfect but could stop another cat coming in to steal her food. I saw a cat defeat one of these "locked" cat flaps in a thing on TV but we have had them now in two houses and have never had a problem with other cats coming in. Before we had it the catflap was bit of a war zone.

Ours is a sureflap - one of the popular makes and the company is just down the road from here which made us buy it in the first place.
Feb 2017
11:41pm, 9 Feb 2017
5,198 posts
  •  
Winded
We have a door stop holding the kitchen door open. It's a dog but not a very lifelike one. It's a red cube with a scotty dog sewn onto it. We have two other animal like things in the house - Helga ignores the animal shaped ones and she used to ignore the red cube but now the red cube is used for hunting practice. The house is full of cat toys and scratching posts but she makes war on the cube. Every now & then we hear a scampering noise from the kitchen or the soft thud of a pounce as she kills it again.

What's going on?
Feb 2017
11:12pm, 13 Feb 2017
17,105 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
I am trying to rehome my cats for personal reasons. One of my cats has gone to my mums so know she will be fine. I met a lady today who was looking for a cat for her friend took Mia round had some misgivings but had a message this evening asking if I can take her back as she bit the lady
Mar 2017
9:25am, 1 Mar 2017
1,588 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Oreo has found a new place to rest

Mar 2017
9:45am, 1 Mar 2017
3,661 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
That's a very disapproving look :)

About This Thread

Maintained by
A thread for those owned by cats, as we cannot possibly go onto the Bark and whine thread, its for d...