Left confused by the news..... and quite sad with the world

5 watchers
28 Jul
4:19pm, 28 Jul 2024
67,090 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
My wife is generally a week or so behind with news. If she starts telling me something I already know about, the first thing (especially if it’s on that wretched Facebook) I ask is who’s telling the story and what’s their agenda?
28 Jul
5:12pm, 28 Jul 2024
43,414 posts
  •  
Nellers
If it’s the same video I saw the civilians were involved in a violent confrontation with the police and were (probably justifiably) stunned with a taser. After that, while incapacitated on the floor, is when on of the coppers kicks and stamps on the guy’s head.

If the police are using force to stop a violent situation and/or protect themselves I can see justification but once the guy is tasered? Not so sure at all that was anything other than angry revenge.
28 Jul
7:11pm, 28 Jul 2024
32,874 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
The bloke went down like a tree and I assumed he had banged his head on the floor. A taser would explain it. I have a bad feeling about this one.
28 Jul
8:02pm, 28 Jul 2024
21,580 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Can't be many places in the world where attacking police armed with guns at an airport doesn't end up with you being shot dead.
28 Jul
8:12pm, 28 Jul 2024
43,419 posts
  •  
Nellers
You might be right, @Cerrertonia but I'm glad we live in a nation where that isn't the automatic response to any situation.

And to be fair if they'd just shot him while he was punching them I'd have been less bothered by it. Force to deal with a threat to them or the public is more justifiable. It's the fact that he was incapacitated and no threat to them or anyone when he was assaulted that I think is unacceptable.
28 Jul
8:18pm, 28 Jul 2024
19,863 posts
  •  
Gooner
Tbh, I've not seen anybody argue otherwise. Even given then state of the general interweb these days.
28 Jul
8:29pm, 28 Jul 2024
5,974 posts
  •  
paulcook
I find the whole video strange. There must be more context to it, like how the police initially get involved, because from what I've seen it goes from absolutely nothing happening to the two men punching and punching, to being tasered and booted on the floor and the second man pistol-whipped within about 30 to 60 seconds.
28 Jul
9:42pm, 28 Jul 2024
21,581 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Nellers wrote:You might be right, @Cerrertonia but I'm glad we live in a nation where that isn't the automatic response to any situation.
Indeed. I wasn't so much thinking about the police action here as wondering why someone would think that attacking armed police officers from behind in an airport was going to end well.I suppose red mist had descended on all sides.
29 Jul
1:41am, 29 Jul 2024
454 posts
  •  
Brandon
The guy incapacitated on the floor was "allegedly' wide-awake and refusing to show his hands after his horrific assault. Given the incredible violence against the officers, I have no problem with the officer using force to get him to comply. Some people in the public domain seem to have very short memories of the horrific attacks on police in recent years. I can't imagine what mentality these individuals have carrying out such violent attacks on armed officers.

For some reason, more than others, this incident has really got me angry.
The original 10 second video-clip should have never been aired. It is awful click-bait that has caused nothing but unrest, has been a gift to the racist ranting online and the individual who filmed and shared the 10 seconds should be charged with inciting fear and hatred. The individuals must be charged for their horrific violent behaviour and this should not be over-shadowed by an armed police officer being attacked from all sides, his colleague battered to the ground, then kicking one of the preparators for refusing to comply.
29 Jul
10:12am, 29 Jul 2024
19,867 posts
  •  
Gooner
Sorry Brandon but whilst I agree that the clip should not have been aired originally and that there are mitigating circumstances, it is never acceptable to kick a person in the head whilst they are on the floor and definitely never stamp.

I was previously a prison officer and was assaulted myself several times whilst we had no weapons of any sort to defend ourselves (private establishments don't get batons) and I have a very close relative who is a Police Officer who worked both as a response Officer and on the OSU and neither of us have ever come across a situation where that level of force was proportionate or necessary, which are of two of the criteria in which all use of force, by those trained to use it legally, are governed.

It is not something that is as cut and dry as it was first made out, it should not have been shown to the general public until after any criminal proceedings and it is impossible to put ourselves in the position of the Officers that were there, at that time... However, it is still not acceptable and sadly for that Officer, that will no doubt be shown in due process.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brandon
Growing up, I got my news from John Craven's Newsround :) for those that remember - a weekly round-up of national and international news presented for kids. For many years I always watched the news, as my parents did (6pm or 10pm). I learnt about foreign countries, politics, regimes and national home issues. My kids now watch BTN (Behind the News) a similar format to when I was a kid.

This last week or so (in my opinion at least) shows what a terribly-skewed and sad state news report...