Heart rate

298 watchers
Jan 2007
11:12pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
Resting Heart rate - nothing to add to that - just make sure you're not VERY warm, as your HR will be higher than your resting one

Your max is NOT 220 minus your age!
You need to do a Max HR test to determine what it is.
According to the formula I'm an 8yr old!!!! and the V40 supports thfact that I'm not!

There are many ways of doing a MHR test, but a fairly simple one is to do a HARD hill-type session
Pick your hill - about 100m in length
Warm up with a couple of miles of easy jogging
Run up it as hard as you can
Jog back down
Run up it as hard as you can
Jog back down (should be quite warm now)
Run up it as hard as you can (probably breathing pretty hard now!)
Jog back down
Run up as hard as you can - If you feel like your lungs are trying to prolapse onto the floor and that nausea is not far away - then you've done it right
AND your lovely new HRM will show you the hard earned (fairly accurate) Max!!!!
Sometimes 3X is enough - depends how much hill work you do ;)
Jan 2007
11:13pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
so is that the vo2 then?
Jan 2007
11:16pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
No emmilou - VO2Max needs a 'lab' and 'equipment' to measure!
Jan 2007
11:17pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
I always forget to measure resting HR when I wake up - and then doh, it's too late!!!

For my max, I really need to do a test to work it out properly, cos at today's race (if you take 220 - age) I've reached 102% of my max already!!
Jan 2007
11:17pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
but they make you collapse on that one too!!
Jan 2007
11:18pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
see i DON'T accoring to my age my max is 185 and I rarely get there and belive me I'm puffing for tugs! is it anything to do with a low RHR?
Jan 2007
11:18pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
FBR - see above
emmilou - VO2Max is about oxygen uptake, and not to do with what your MHR is
Jan 2007
11:19pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
OMG El Bee - if my heart rate goes to 200+ I think I will die !

I am just starting running outside (and as I live at the top of a hill), I can get to the top of the hill ONCE, without dying, I fear twice and I will need oxygen. Although, I think my lungs can cope, but not my legs

So, for the mo, if I run up the hill once and check my heart rate ! Sorry to sound like an under-achiever - but from small acorns and all that !
Jan 2007
11:20pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
Nope RHR is genetically determined but can be - and IS lowered with training and increased fitness
Jan 2007
11:22pm, 1 Jan 2007
0 posts
  •  
Elderberry I have fmailed you something you may find useful :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach