Cooking for vegetarian diabetics, any go-to recipes?

1 lurker | 4 watchers
27 Sep
5:22pm, 27 Sep 2024
649 posts
  •  
LouiseRuns πŸŒΉπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί
In my house,OH does most of the cooking, but I like to occasionally. I'd like to do more. Problem is, most of my go-to recipes have either rice or pasta as a base, and he can't eat too much rice or pasta. So I'm after interesting things to cook, that either contain only small amounts of rice/pasta, or, better still, have alternatives.

I do a pretty good veggie Shepherd's Pie. But the mash affects his sugar levels too much. I've tried lacing my mash through with cauliflower, or carrot, but I don't think I've got the proportions right as it still seems to have too much of an effect on his glucose levels.

Any suggestions for new, meat-free, recipes that don't use my usual staples of rice, pasta, or potato?
27 Sep
5:26pm, 27 Sep 2024
70,013 posts
  •  
LindsD
Might be worth posting on the vegetarian thread? fetcheveryone.com/forum/veg-etari-an-group-27916/

I'm also going to take the liberty of calling @sallykate and @RedSquirrel and @Little Miss Happy who always have good ideas.
27 Sep
5:27pm, 27 Sep 2024
9,923 posts
  •  
becca7
There are pastas that are made with lentils or peas that have a higher protein content than white pasta and might be an alternative. They don't taste the same as white pasta but are nice enough.
27 Sep
5:32pm, 27 Sep 2024
34,469 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’m currently cooking my go to aubergine, lemon and bean concoction that I do for my vegan offspring. I usually serve it with couscous, but it’s quite filling without. Let me know if you’d like the recipe
27 Sep
6:16pm, 27 Sep 2024
70,015 posts
  •  
LindsD
fetcheveryone.com/blog/4167#comments489192
27 Sep
6:17pm, 27 Sep 2024
70,016 posts
  •  
LindsD
Link seems to be to my comment but scroll up. Chick peas are Ok right?
27 Sep
6:59pm, 27 Sep 2024
650 posts
  •  
HellsBells wrote:I’m currently cooking my go to aubergine, lemon and bean concoction that I do for my vegan offspring. I usually serve it with couscous, but it’s quite filling without. Let me know if you’d like the recipe

Yes please, @HellsBells
27 Sep
6:59pm, 27 Sep 2024
651 posts
  •  
becca7 wrote:There are pastas that are made with lentils or peas that have a higher protein content than white pasta and might be an alternative. They don't taste the same as white pasta but are nice enough.

I picked up a pasta made with red lentil flour yesterday, so I'll give that a go.
27 Sep
7:00pm, 27 Sep 2024
652 posts
  •  
LindsD wrote:fetcheveryone.com/blog/4167#comments489192

Looks good, thanks! Chickpeas are a favourite.
27 Sep
8:46pm, 27 Sep 2024
7,409 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
How about quinoa as a base instead of rice and courgetti instead of pasta?

About This Thread

In my house,OH does most of the cooking, but I like to occasionally. I'd like to do more. Problem is, most of my go-to recipes have either rice or pasta as a base, and he can't eat too much rice or pasta. So I'm after interesting things to cook, that either contain only small amounts of rice/pasta, or, better still, have alternatives.

I do a pretty good veggie Shepherd's Pie. But the mash affects his sugar levels too much. I've tried lacing my mash through with caulif...