Comrades Marathon 2022

6 watchers
Jul 2022
4:20am, 18 Jul 2022
132 posts
  •  
Lacal
Hi icenutter. I am doing Comrades this year.
Jul 2022
8:54am, 18 Jul 2022
553 posts
  •  
icenutter
Ooh, excellent. Have you done it before? How’s the training going?
Jul 2022
3:10pm, 18 Jul 2022
133 posts
  •  
Lacal
Yes, this will be my 12th one. I live on the route, and I absolutely love the race. Training has been ok, what about you? Is this your first one?
Jul 2022
6:24pm, 18 Jul 2022
555 posts
  •  
icenutter
12th wow! I was looking at the list of green number holders, and 2 people are on 47 imagine that!

Yes, it’s my first Comrades. I was supposed to go in 2020, but that didn’t work out unsurprisingly. I’ve done a 2hour and 3.5hour run, back to back, the last two weekends. 55km run this weekend. I am still worrying I haven’t done enough.

I got a B seeding, but I’m targeting a 10 hour finish. How about you?
Jul 2022
7:53pm, 18 Jul 2022
134 posts
  •  
Lacal
Yes, there are a few people who have run so many Comrades and it's going to be really interesting to see how many years they can keep going for. I am listening to a podcast interviewing Barry Holland and he is one of those that has done 47. They have been consecutive too!!! He must have been bummed to have missed the last 2 years. You might find his interview useful as he discusses the race. (The podcast is called "Making a Runner" episode 8)

If you have a B seeding, then you should be very capable of a sub 9 hour which is called a Bill Rowan medal. How many km have you done since the start of April? That is quite a good indicator too, of your finish time. Although your first one will be such a special experience that it might be better not to put too much pressure on yourself.

I am not taking things too seriously this year - I have had years of pushing and training very hard. This year I will be very happy with a sub 9 hour finish.
Jul 2022
3:07pm, 19 Jul 2022
556 posts
  •  
icenutter
Thanks for the tip about the Making a Runner Podcast, I'll check it out.

With my target time, I've gone round in circles really. My qualifier was a 3:19 marathon, but I actually went through half way in just under 1:30. But then it all ended badly with cramp. I could have maybe done some more training, but I think the problem was lack of electrolytes.

Comrades is also my first ultra, so I'm kind of thinking that I go super-conservative with goal time. But on the other hand, if I set out to do 9 hours, then that still gives me 3 hours leeway on the cutoff...

April for me was 266km, May 216km, June 282km. Last week was my biggest ever, with 83km.
Jul 2022
7:09pm, 19 Jul 2022
135 posts
  •  
Lacal
It is tough to say, the rule of thumb is a 3:30 marathon should give you a sub 9 hour. But it is so easy and common to go out too fast in the beginning and Comrades will bite you if you do your first half too fast. The best thing you can do is run very cautiously for the first half.

As a novice, I would really focus on just enjoying the event and seeing how you manage an Ultra marathon. I know you will love the race and so you will come back to do another one and then you can race that one.

Your mileage is also adequate for Comrades. It sounds like you will have a great run.
Jul 2022
11:13am, 20 Jul 2022
557 posts
  •  
icenutter
Thanks for the kind words. I might target 9 hours...

How about you, have your 12 all been under 9 hours?
Jul 2022
11:32am, 20 Jul 2022
11,362 posts
  •  
lammo
Which way is it this year?
Jul 2022
11:44am, 20 Jul 2022
558 posts
  •  
icenutter
Down

About This Thread

Maintained by icenutter
Is anyone doing Comrades this year?

I’ve got a place carried over from 2020 and we all know how 2020 panned out. Trainings going well at the moment. This will be my first ultra, so it’s a big step up.