FE Lake District Lovers

92 watchers
7 Jun
8:51am, 7 Jun 2024
2,827 posts
  •  
Canute
The Lake District provides delightful, inspiring terrain. I chose to live here largely because of that. However, it is not wilderness. It has been shaped by mankind over millennia in eye-catching ways. The vegetation is shaped by sheep. The charming the stone walls are a monument to generations of sheep farmers.

More recently fell walkers (and runners) have been responsible for a network of paths: some are pleasing to the eye; others are an eyesore. Cairns guide us down safely when the high ridges are in cloud. Many of us who love the fells accept the benefits of these manmade features.

We also share the benefits of living in a modern, technological society and cannot expect that the fells should be maintained in exactly the manner that fits our own sensibilities with no concern for the needs of others. I am content that we no longer share the terrain with wolves. Some of us make use of GPS to navigate. Some of us might take delight in the possibility of relaxing in a pub at the end of a long day.

We can expect that this wonderful landscape is maintained in a way that lifts the spirits of those who seek respite from urban skylines and the bustle our cities. Where do we draw the line? I would certainly draw the line to exclude structures that dominate the skyline; I would hate to see zip wires or cable cars. However, much as I endeavour to maintain my own skill is using the natural landscape to guide me, I am not against discreet signs to assist those who have not been had the opportunity to develop sufficient familiarity with the landscape to recognise the treacherous nature of the ill-formed path into Piers Gill.

Car parks are an inescapable abomination. They are not made less so by signs that warn about the need for care on the fells above.
7 Jun
9:07am, 7 Jun 2024
3,200 posts
  •  
Mushroom
The use of Facebook and Instagram has brought many more thousands into the Lakes quickly, without the training / respect given to the hills that might have been taught and shared by parents taking their kids over several years, or a hiker slowly building up their experience.

It used to take years for people to complete the Wainwrights - now someone hears about it and it's a challenge that has to be done over the shortest time possible. They can have finished the list but still be very inexperienced hikers. I guess the need for warning signs is one way to combat ignorance.

Anyone who's ever been hiking in the Alps will have seen dozens of footpath signs dotted around the trails. You pass a sign and it's instantly out of sight. You can't see them from more than 50yards away.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
Somewhere you can confidently ask "which is the best chip shop in Keswick?" and expect an intelligent reply.

Lots of experience and good advice available here, from which B & B or YHA to the best fell for Grandma to climb :-)

Wainwrights Progress
Gromit: 208/214
Phal: 108/214
R4R: 121/214
Velociraptor: 86/214
Flanker: 76/214
Dave A: 81/214
_andy: 64/214
Snoot: 93/214
Lottie: 51/214
Stan: 49/214
um: 61/214
Rosehip: 46/214
HellsBells: 24/214
BaronessBL: 17/214
Homer: 138/214
OverTheHillToo: 48/214 (2nd)
Northern Exile: 141/214 (3rd)
Jaks: 10/214
Synge 18/214 (2nd/V60)

Wainwrights Completers
Flying Finn
SimonF
Synge
Northern Exile x 2
OverTheHillToo
runnyeyes
Chrisity
JenHB

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.