Aug 2010
5:04pm, 30 Aug 2010
First-time poster!!
  •  
welshy76
i'm running the GNR for the first time this year

I'm travelling up from Cardiff and staying at the university in Newcastle

Couple of questions for anyone who's done it before

1) Is anyone on here travelling up from Wales (ish) and do you want to share a lift?

2) How easy/ difficult will it be to get from the uni to the start line (although if im right the Uni looks close to the start)
3) How easy will it be getting back?
4) What time does the city 'get bak to normal' so I can drive home?
5) I'm on my own so if anyone fancies a meet up then let me know

thanks
Aug 2010
5:24pm, 30 Aug 2010
1,404 posts
  •  
Battlecat
Hi Welshy,

Welcome to Fetch :-)

1) Not me, I'm coming up from Essex
2) It depends whereabouts in the University you're staying but the main campus is walking distance from the start, Castle Leazes is too if that's where you're staying
3) This is a bit of a nightmare, there's the shuttle buses or the metro. I prefer the shuttle buses but either method takes quite a while
4) Not sure, I've always driven back the next morning. I'm driving back the same day this year though and I'll probably get back to Newcastle, have something to eat and then leave so about 3.00ish, I don't know if that's a good plan or not though
5) At the finish there are family reunion areas and there should be a group of fetch vests standing by the letter F, just wander over there and introduce yourself to anyone in a Fetch shirt. In fact any time you see anyone in Fetch vest come over and say Hi, we'er all a friendly bunch :-)
Aug 2010
5:28pm, 30 Aug 2010
7,262 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Welcome to Fetch, Welshy.

If the Uni is the one that we walk through from Haymarket to the start, you could pretty much lie in 'til 10am and have a leisurely amble down to the start.

How easy it is getting back depends on how long you take to get to South Shields. At 1:50 or so you'll be coming in with the bulk of the finishers, so you'll need to be quick getting any kit of the baggae buses and away to the station if you're going to avoid the queues.

Another option is to drive to South Shields early morning and get a Metro back, then get in the car and drive home from the finish, but that rather negates the advantage of staying at the Uni, and that entails being stuck in traffic for a good while.

If you're going from the centre, and avoid the Bridge, you should be OK to get out of the city once you get back to the start!
Aug 2010
5:30pm, 30 Aug 2010
7,263 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Don't forget to meet up at Claremont Road at 9am for the Fetch group photo, and if you have any ideas for a good place to meet up for a drink or two on Saturday, I'm looking for a Fetchmeet...
Aug 2010
7:16pm, 30 Aug 2010
2 posts
  •  
welshy76
staying at Castle Leazes - so looks like i'm on to a winner with that - i quite like the idea of a lie in before the race!!

There's a 'pasta party' and pub quiz at the Uni the night before apparently - which is about all I need the night before

how about entering a 'fetch' team?
Aug 2010
7:17pm, 30 Aug 2010
5,352 posts
  •  
Ha! Ha!
im spectating at 9 mile point..give me a wave :-)
Aug 2010
7:24pm, 30 Aug 2010
9,565 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
Last time I did this in 2008 it took 30 mins to reach the start from my pen and then had to queue for a couple of hours to get on the metro it was unbelievable and put me off ever doing it again
Aug 2010
8:02pm, 30 Aug 2010
12,562 posts
  •  
Princess Purple Bubbles
DeeGee told you drinkies at the Hilton saturday night!
Aug 2010
9:38pm, 30 Aug 2010
7,264 posts
  •  
DeeGee
But it's in Gateshead!
Aug 2010
9:38pm, 30 Aug 2010
7,265 posts
  •  
DeeGee
And it'll cost thirty-odd quid for a bottle of Becks.

About This Thread

Maintained by gadgy
Hi i see there are loads of fellow Fetchies in the GNR just wondering if there are a few hoping for...