Bournville by Jonathan Coe - Book Group June 2024 discussion thread

2 lurkers | 7 watchers
16 Sep
10:36pm, 16 Sep 2024
54,516 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Interesting opinions. I liked it much much more. I am a bit of a fan of Coe's, I suppose and I'm predisposed to enjoy his stuff as I have a history of enjoying it. When you have a favourite author, I think perhaps you overlook some of their flaws (e.g. clunkiness) as part of the reading experience.

Ali Smith makes a great counter-example. I tend to feel that the first one I read of hers - How To Be Both - is her best book and everything I've read since just isn't as good. Which is a bit unfair of me, take each book on its own merits etc.
17 Sep
6:12am, 17 Sep 2024
88,159 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I loved her seasonal quartet, the Winter and Spring especially.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Top Brummie author Jonathan Coe has returned to his roots* to give us this, his fourteenth novel.

Bournville tells the tale of Billy Wilder, the mysterious owner of a chocolate factory who offers five lucky children the chance to have a guided tour. Aided and sometimes resisted by Mr Wilder's assistants, the Brumpah-Lumpahs, will the children be able to solve the mystery in time?

When you have completed this tale of the unexpected, please dispose of your thoughts like a chocolate wrapper into a bin, into the thread below.

*Stupid fat fingers on the first post on this thread

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,228 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here