•  
RunningRonnie
Thank you both!
17 Apr
10:10am, 17 Apr 2024
23,789 posts
  •  
larkim
I would say the opposite - getting quick links off is much much harder than getting them on!

I've bought cheap tools in the past for various jobs, which mostly do the right job, but the chain link tool that I bought is a bit rubbish and I wish I'd bought a better quality one.

All that said, once you get the bike in a nice stable position there are various reliable ways to get difficult quick links off. Pliers, a gentle tap with a hammer, a shoelace and a big stick (!).

The issue with a new chain is sizing it and splitting it properly. Obviously if you have the old chain, making the new one the same size as the old is the obvious option, but if you're changing the cassette to a different spec or a new derailleur then you'll need to follow the guides to getting the chain properly sized. £10 for Halfords to do that for you seems pretty good value tbh!
17 Apr
10:12am, 17 Apr 2024
23,790 posts
  •  
larkim
All that said, teaching yourself the full chain removal and replacement cycle is a good skill learned.
17 Apr
10:25am, 17 Apr 2024
2,545 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I do like the Park Tool quick link tool, particularly for removal, though works well both ways.

It's worth being reasonably comfortable changing a chain in case you break one when out (also worth carrying spare quick links).

If you're after a portable chain breaker tool, it may be worth having a look in a bike shop. Some small ones can be poor (I had one that would gouge a hole in your hand before moving the pin). If you're only after one for home, most workshop ones are chunky enough to not be an issue.
17 Apr
10:38am, 17 Apr 2024
23,792 posts
  •  
larkim
In the grand scheme of things, if you can afford a Park Tool option, they are invariably great!

I got the cable snips from park tool, but wish I'd got the chain tool.
17 Apr
10:39am, 17 Apr 2024
23,793 posts
  •  
larkim
And whilst I'm blowing smoke up park tools, everyone should have that website in their browser favourites as the best place for most maintenance activity guides; clear, accurate and easy to follow.
17 Apr
10:40am, 17 Apr 2024
23,794 posts
  •  
larkim
parktool.com
17 Apr
10:41am, 17 Apr 2024
23,795 posts
  •  
larkim
Sorry for the flurry of individual posts, but for example here is the chain replacement guide.

parktool.com
17 Apr
11:48am, 17 Apr 2024
10,254 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I would say the opposite - getting quick links off is much much harder than getting them on! I've bought cheap tools in the past for various jobs, which mostly do the right job, but the chain link tool that I bought is a bit rubbish and I wish I'd bought a better quality one. All that said, once you get the bike in a nice stable position there are various reliable ways to get difficult quick links off. Pliers, a gentle tap with a hammer, a shoelace and a big stick (!). The issue with a new chain is sizing it and splitting it properly. Obviously if you have the old chain, making the new one the same size as the old is the obvious option, but if you're changing the cassette to a different spec or a new derailleur then you'll need to follow the guides to getting the chain properly sized. £10 for Halfords to do that for you seems pretty good value tbh!

I like Fat Spanner tools myself and my chain link pliers have never failed to remove quick links painlessly, the one I did yesterday was solid rust but it popped it in seconds.

Working out chain length is fairly easy. Personally, I size the chain on both big rings (ie. front and rear and add two links, if you're confident in splitting a chain in the first instance you can save the tenner and a trip to Halfords :-) Other rules of thumb are available.
17 Apr
12:26pm, 17 Apr 2024
19,280 posts
  •  
Stepford Wife
Top tip for getting links to seat properly when installing a chain - put the bike on the floor with the partially joined links at the top, brake on, stand on the pedal and your weight will neatly snap the links into place. The higher the speed of chain the harder they are to get on and off. 8 speed can be done by hand but you’ve not a Hope with 11 or 12

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net