Sub 3Hr Marathon

2 lurkers | 310 watchers
30 Sep
11:09pm, 30 Sep 2024
331 posts
  •  
OO61
Tapers are horrible DT- totally unfamiliar landscape 😉
Logistics for Chester are a bit of a nightmare too rhb. I remember horrendous city centre traffic last year and this year they've stopped all parking at the racecourse. Last thing you need on a big race day....
1 Oct
11:14am, 1 Oct 2024
179 posts
  •  
DT19
There are places around Solihull and Birmingham airport/NEC for example and they are not far off m40. Though not sure that is your route from Manchester as you'd follow the m6 to south Birmingham.

Oo, that's a pain re race course parking. Last year I booked very early and stayed at holiday inn at the race course for about £75.

It doesn't really kick in fully until Friday as the first few days this week are normal and my biggest workouts are usually Friday and Sunday.
1 Oct
11:52am, 1 Oct 2024
6,484 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
@rhb I've done Abo a couple of times. I'm about 45 mins drive away and so I've just driven up there on the morning of the race day.

I had the quickest of searches and it looks like there are loads of available places to stay nearby the night before. There's no need to stay in Abingdon, you can drive over from anywhere local on the morning and park. There are options on the local roads close to the start line that I can point you to if the official parking looks too far away (it's about 1 mile from the start, 10 miles from the finish even though they are in the same place!!).

If I were you I'd stay somewhere within 20 mins drive to take all the stress out of it in the morning. Somewhere like this perhaps (there were cheaper places too):

uk.hotels.com
1 Oct
10:53pm, 1 Oct 2024
337 posts
  •  
OO61
I recall your hotel DT. Unfortunately at short notice there nothing decent in Chester for less than £175.I'd rather spend up post race at Wwtherspoons 🤭

Easy swim and 5 mile run today.
rhb
3 Oct
9:02am, 3 Oct 2024
2,407 posts
  •  
rhb
Windsor Wool wrote:@rhb I've done Abo a couple of times. I'm about 45 mins drive away and so I've just driven up there on the morning of the race day. I had the quickest of searches and it looks like there are loads of available places to stay nearby the night before. There's no need to stay in Abingdon, you can drive over from anywhere local on the morning and park. There are options on the local roads close to the start line that I can point you to if the official parking looks too far away (it's about 1 mile from the start, 10 miles from the finish even though they are in the same place!!). If I were you I'd stay somewhere within 20 mins drive to take all the stress out of it in the morning. Somewhere like this perhaps (there were cheaper places too): uk.hotels.com

Thanks @Windsor Wool really useful info appreciated.
3 Oct
11:47am, 3 Oct 2024
185 posts
  •  
DT19
Oo, you won't have me there this year to buy the expensive pints in the Slug and lettuce so you'll need all your pennies.
3 Oct
10:43pm, 3 Oct 2024
341 posts
  •  
OO61
I have my wife in tow DT. Not such a great drinking buddy 🍻

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
6 Oct Chester
OO61 2:59:59
13 Oct Chicago
DT19 2:44:59
20 Oct
Amsterdam
Charlesvdw 2:59:59
Abingdon
rhb 2:59
Miser 2:45
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
28 April Boston
Brunski 2:52:33
28 April Newport
Miser 2:50:14
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.