Post-race medical issues

2 watchers
Sep 2012
1:45pm, 17 Sep 2012
1,865 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Further to my first half-marathon at the weekend (blog here for a long-winded account http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=9323) I encountered some issues five minutes after the race. Which, to be brutally honest, scared me a bit. Legs buckling, hands feeling like they are swelling up and then going numb for 30 minutes, stomach feeling like it's contracting, all occurred over what was a less than pleasent 45 minute period after the race.

I am off to see the doc anyway this week, so will of course bring this up, but I wondered what issues people have post-race, if any? It seemed to me like 99% of the runners on Saturday finished fine, and I must admit to being concerned that my body reacted like this for a Half. What on earth will it do for a full one if I ever manage to do one? Was it just a lack of training issue (due to a leg injury the furthest I had run before this race was a cross-country 16km), or is this something that some people just get after running for two hours or more? I don't see people mentioning any of this in their long training runs, so I'm assuming it's not "normal"? :-)

Put my mind at ease by all telling me you feel terrible after distance runs!
Sep 2012
1:49pm, 17 Sep 2012
2,634 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
Doesn't sound normal, although weak legs and stomach problems on their own aren't that unusual.

How do you normally feel after your long runs?

Is it possible you have a mild illness at the moment?
Sep 2012
1:57pm, 17 Sep 2012
1,866 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I've never had anything like this MC, after my 16km cross-country race I was deeply out of breath, but other than that was fine. Never had my legs buckle, stomach hurt and certainly not the hands going numb!

No illness that I am aware of. Feel fine today (other than knackered legs ;-) )
Sep 2012
2:02pm, 17 Sep 2012
13,712 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I haven't experienced it myself but don't think the numb hands is too uncommon - something to do with reduced blood flow to your extremities while you are running. Best to get it checked out though.
Sep 2012
2:34pm, 17 Sep 2012
1,867 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ok, that makes me feel a bit better, though odd I was fine during the race but happened afterwards. I will check with the doctor just to be sure though. Thanks :-)
Sep 2012
2:37pm, 17 Sep 2012
434 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
Numb/tingly hands are something I get on runs longer than a half - I put it down to low blood sugar, so take something to eat now and that seems to help.
Sep 2012
2:41pm, 17 Sep 2012
12,915 posts
  •  
HellsBells
anything over an hour and my hands swell up and can go numb - I have to remember to take my rings off on warmer days before I run
Sep 2012
2:46pm, 17 Sep 2012
1,868 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Great! Well, not great, but at least it's not just me! They did hand out some chocolate bars at 18km Mrs B and I wolfed two of those down, so had assumed blood sugar would be OK (whilst also knowing I have little clue about such things), but if this is not uncommon then I feel much better about it all.
Sep 2012
2:54pm, 17 Sep 2012
2,416 posts
  •  
Lalli
Low blood sugar and electrolytes - if I don't eat enough before a hard race (i.e. decent bowl of porridge 2 hours prior to run) my fingers get pins and needles, my legs go wobbly and I feel sick when I finish (have been sick once after a race) - but only if I've really pushed myself properly hard. And I don't really do that so much any more!
Sep 2012
2:56pm, 17 Sep 2012
2,417 posts
  •  
Lalli
Hydration is a fine balance too!

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Further to my first half-marathon at the weekend (blog here for a long-winded account http://www.fet...