The XC thread

91 watchers
12 Feb
11:40pm, 12 Feb 2024
198 posts
  •  
Alun
Saturday was the final race of four in the Kent League, it was on a largely flat course (Norman Park in Bromley) but heavy rain in the preceding days waterlogged large sections and turned others into sloppy mud, so much tougher than I originally expected but it was a great race.

Cross Country was my crutch during my fallow period from 2012 to 2016, it led to brief upturns in performance every year before the downwards trend continued through the summer months.

Our coach (Barry Royden) has us doing variations of short, medium and long (or a combination of all three) hill reps on tarmac paths or roads in the evenings or Kenyan hills (short and steeper plus long and shallower with downhill recoveries in loops) on grass on Saturdays, these are brutal sessions but build strength and endurance in abundance.

I have two or three races left including the English Championships and the British Masters' Championships. Once they are completed then I will turn my focus towards road and track racing, all powered by by the winter's racing and training, I'll also be looking forwards to the next cross country season! 🤣
18 Feb
1:30pm, 18 Feb 2024
4,634 posts
  •  
Curly45
Absolutely disgusting mud and water fest at Holmebrook Valley for BDL today.

Not as good as last time out but so hard to get gobig. Nothing was firm at all. Mud up to my thighs at the end. 4 15s and some run down 12s at the back were not enough 😳
19 Feb
7:58pm, 19 Feb 2024
37,007 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
4th cross country this year we’ve had cancelled for mud !!! The worlds gone mad
19 Feb
8:06pm, 19 Feb 2024
4,635 posts
  •  
Curly45
Hahaha Hills of Death (HOD) that is hilarious.
19 Feb
8:07pm, 19 Feb 2024
5,071 posts
  •  
Ally-C
4th cross country this year we’ve had cancelled for mud !!! The worlds gone mad

Where’s that? That’s mental.
19 Feb
8:07pm, 19 Feb 2024
37,009 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Well to be fair they said course is ‘underwater’ errr just run through the middle of it
20 Feb
9:27pm, 20 Feb 2024
199 posts
  •  
Alun
English Cross Country Championships at Weston Park (Telford) on Saturday should be interesting, the car parks have had to be moved because "the ground is very wet".
The ground was also described as very wet at Wollaton Park in 2020, that was 7 miles of ankle deep slop, running water, fallen tree boughs to hurdle and was an absolute mud bath!
I've got a 5 mile cross country league race on Sunday morning as well!
23 Feb
11:40am, 23 Feb 2024
23,344 posts
  •  
larkim
Nationals have been postponed due to waterlogged car parks.

englandathletics.org
23 Feb
3:58pm, 23 Feb 2024
37,021 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Worlds gone mad
23 Feb
4:12pm, 23 Feb 2024
23,347 posts
  •  
larkim
Poor planning to have parking which might be unsuitable in mid-winter. But once that choice has been made, it's probably not the wrong decision overall. Though a lot of frustrated runners and families, especially those who are travelling up today with hotels booked etc.

Sometimes you have to just make the least bad choice and you get criticised no matter what.

About This Thread

Maintained by Buzzards Sis