Running Through Cancer

9 watchers
Jun 2014
1:09am, 22 Jun 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
Turkey legs
Hi All,

I've recently been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer & having a Radical Prostatectomy in August. This is the complete removal of my prostrate gland & some surrounding tissue. I may then have to have a course of Radiotherapy to be sure. I'm a marathon addict & like to do

6 or 7 per year as well as the usual fill in 10ks & halves. I'm going to run Bath Marathon at the end of July, I've pulled out of wolves in September & Chester in October but fully intend running Broadway in November.

Its been an awful 6 months of test after test & it's taken its toll mentally & in terms of fitness, I've dropped the speed work totally, comfort eaten & drank & managed to gain a stone. I've had a word with myself & sorting it out.

Anyone any experience or advice of running through cancer & treatment. I'll have to have a catheter for 3 weeks after the op, so running will stop but I intend getting back on it as soon as I can. I'm already feeling fatigued. The consultant says its a symptom & running will be hard but has encouraged me to 'run to feel' as soon as I'm able.
Jun 2014
7:25am, 22 Jun 2014
1,459 posts
  •  
Cyclops
My OH had his prostate removed last January. The operation was successful and he has made a good recovery with everything now in working order. It did take a long time for him to recover full continence and, unfortunately, running was the hardest thing for him to do without dribbling. He is now running in public again after eighteen months.

He spent a lot of time on his bike completing 100k rides within three months and I tried to encourage him to swim but he wouldn't!

Good luck with your op and recovery.
Jun 2014
7:58am, 22 Jun 2014
14,520 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
No experience or advice, but just a 'good luck'.
Jun 2014
12:42am, 23 Jun 2014
2 posts
  •  
Turkey legs
Thanks Guys. I'm really positive about this & know I'll come through the other side stronger & a better person.
Jun 2014
12:42am, 23 Jun 2014
3 posts
  •  
Turkey legs
Thanks Guys. I'm really positive about this & know I'll come through the other side stronger & a better person.
Jun 2014
5:03am, 23 Jun 2014
50,619 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Glad your doc is supportive of your running
You *will* be very tired
Any anaesthetic will do that, and so will the radiotherapy

Good luck."Run to feel" is good advice
Jun 2014
10:20am, 23 Jun 2014
1,748 posts
  •  
Old Man
Ditto Mr Fetch, no experience or advice, but keep up the positive feel, very best of luck and come back stronger
Jun 2014
6:48pm, 23 Jun 2014
4 posts
  •  
Turkey legs
Cheers guys. Just booked the JCB 5mile run for July 17th to keep me focused for the next couple of weeks. It a sneaky little 2 lap devil of a run & it's usually scorchio too. Put on nearly a stone over the past few months of tests/diagnosis & comfort eating. Back on it from today! Yesterday's 18 mile training run was harsh but gave me a kick up the bum!
Jun 2014
7:54pm, 23 Jun 2014
5,255 posts
  •  
Roobarb
Hi there! I had womb cancer two years ago and after surgery I had radiotherapy. Like yours would be, it was aimed at the pelvic area which played havoc with my bowels (I still have ongoing side effects even now). It also made me extremely tired.

But I'm back running again. I'm slow but I'm doing it!!!!

Keep us posted how everything goes x
Jun 2014
11:37pm, 28 Jun 2014
5 posts
  •  
Turkey legs
Fantastic Roobarb. Excellent news. You're an inspiration.x

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi All,

I've recently been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer & having a Radical Prostatectomy in A...