Marathons abroad

105 watchers
19 Feb
2:24pm, 19 Feb 2024
3,284 posts
  •  
Big_G
DeeGee, yes I personally wouldn’t be happy with that wording. I’d be worried that the company could use those words to get out of paying anything. It’s a bit of a minefield when you start looking into it.
20 Feb
6:18am, 20 Feb 2024
67,848 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Thanks, Bob!, ITG 🇮🇸 and Foxy.

Have we had this yet? zurich.es
20 Feb
9:35am, 20 Feb 2024
3,285 posts
  •  
Big_G
Hadn’t seen that before Velo. I’ve done Seville, San Sebastien and Barcelona and they are all great events. Valencia is on ‘the list’ (although it’s a long list), but I hadn’t considered Madrid before.

I think of the 3 of those I’ve done I marginally prefer Barcelona. It’s not as quick as Seville, but still pretty flat, and the route goes past a lot of the sights, and I think Barcelona is a great city. Seville is my PB course and it was one of those days when everything came together, and I really enjoyed it, and it’s a great city too. San Sebastien was a two lapper and although I don’t mind that, it was bad weather when I did it. Bilbao is close by, and is worth a visit as well - from memory we did 3 nights in Bilbao, caught the bus to San Sebastien and then did 3 nights there.
20 Feb
9:40am, 20 Feb 2024
67,853 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Practical tip: I couldn't get it to accept my British passport number even though I'd entered my nationality, but changing the ninth digit to a letter of the alphabet made it work.

I probably won't complete all five but it doesn't cost anything to participate.
20 Feb
6:20pm, 20 Feb 2024
34,927 posts
  •  
Foxy
Hadn’t seen that before Velo. I’ve done Seville, San Sebastien and Barcelona and they are all great events. Valencia is on ‘the list’ (although it’s a long list), but I hadn’t considered Madrid before. I think of the 3 of those I’ve done I marginally prefer Barcelona. It’s not as quick as Seville, but still pretty flat, and the route goes past a lot of the sights, and I think Barcelona is a great city. Seville is my PB course and it was one of those days when everything came together, and I really enjoyed it, and it’s a great city too. San Sebastien was a two lapper and although I don’t mind that, it was bad weather when I did it. Bilbao is close by, and is worth a visit as well - from memory we did 3 nights in Bilbao, caught the bus to San Sebastien and then did 3 nights there.
20 Feb
6:23pm, 20 Feb 2024
34,928 posts
  •  
Foxy
Madrid for a City marathon is quite Hilly but I enjoyed it

I was chasing the Big 6 they have in Spain but still 2 short

I have Madrid, Barca, Seville & Malaga but still need Valencia & Bilbao.
20 Feb
9:10pm, 20 Feb 2024
1,857 posts
  •  
Gritts!
Thanks Big_G I’ll check that out 👍
26 Feb
6:58am, 26 Feb 2024
1,062 posts
  •  
Dibble
The blog from Delhi

fetcheveryone.com/blog/29850/2024/2/480002
27 Feb
9:57am, 27 Feb 2024
34,929 posts
  •  
Foxy
I'm looking at Nashville for next year. it's always the same day as London & has been in my plans for 2 years now - Damn ballots have stopped me going !

My partner like country music, I'm not a huge fan.
26 Mar
11:59am, 26 Mar 2024
3,322 posts
  •  
Big_G
I did do a search but couldn’t see anything. I was wondering if anyone had done CIM - California International Marathon. It’s a point to point course so logistics need to be thought about, and it’s an early race start at 7am, so I was wondering if anyone had done it and had any tips. I’ve no firm plans to do it, so it’s nothing much more than a thought at the moment!

About This Thread

Maintained by Naomi P
Thread for everyone who wants to run a road marathon outside the UK. Everyone welcome, first timers to old hands :-)

List of holiday suggestions here ;-) Feel free to add races and comments
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=438

And a couple of websites with useful info:
Marathon guide is brilliant for US maras but has the most comprehensive European list I've ever seen marathonguide.com
This is the AIMS site distancerunning.co.uk