Head Torches

21 watchers
Nov 2013
10:26am, 15 Nov 2013
14,981 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Had a real odd one yesterday. 3 runners, in the middle of fields, me with Gamma, one guy with Tesco special and a bloke with something with a more powerful and slightly wider beam.

Obviously, all the beams were focussed on the same area, and the more powerful beam was flooding out the others. However, I couldn't then focus properly on the ground. I was looking for wooden poles stuck into the ground and couldn't see them until I was on top of them. I don't know if that's because I'm used to the light from my Gamma, or whether the wider beam was less defined or whatever.
Nov 2013
3:43pm, 15 Nov 2013
2,847 posts
  •  
longboat
I ran with the Petzl this morning, and I think I need to go shopping. It either felt like I was wearing a strange pair of glasses, or that I was about to trip over!
Nov 2013
11:13am, 16 Nov 2013
225 posts
  •  
DPBadger
I will have a look at a few. I am only running in London at the moment so nothing too bright. I am planning on some dales and lakes runs though so want it for then.
Dec 2013
10:07pm, 25 Dec 2013
7,980 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just received an Alpkit Manta for Christmas, only tested by walking around a dark park so far but it seems the business. Good 70m or so of usable range on spot. The variable focus will be very useful on the bike I think (for seeing what is around, not just ahead) and even the secondary blue and green leds give enough light to walk by.
Jan 2014
9:55am, 3 Jan 2014
239 posts
  •  
DPBadger
I got the LED Lensor on the black friday sales. It is working really well, I only have it on low setting.
Jan 2014
9:58am, 3 Jan 2014
878 posts
  •  
lady alton
Get the LED Lenser it's amazing! I like the separate battery pack that hooks onto my backpack so easy to carry that way
Jan 2014
10:21am, 3 Jan 2014
8,775 posts
  •  
DerbyTup
Lensor is a great mid-price choice :-)
Jan 2014
1:37pm, 3 Jan 2014
14,685 posts
  •  
flanker
Lenser 7 or 14?

I sold my 14 as it was just too heavy and battery life too poor. Ideal for short, fast stuff but I think there are far better options if going all night (still keep wondering about the 7, but if it has the same sharp cone of light as the 14 then I know I won't like it).
Jan 2014
1:43pm, 3 Jan 2014
3,780 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
Waiting for the parents to visit next weekend with all the Christmas presents from my side of the family - which will hopefully include an Alpkit for me :) Could have done with it this morning.
Jan 2014
2:06pm, 3 Jan 2014
879 posts
  •  
lady alton
I use it on low power then it lasts all night! and a fairly wide beam works well. It has the AA batteries rather than rechargables

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I just *know* that this has come up already a couple of times this year, but can I find the thread? ...