Commuting to work by bike

59 watchers
Nov 2023
3:13pm, 10 Nov 2023
25,877 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Reviving an old thread.

I put my bike in for extensive repairs today and intend to resume cycle commuting. I can only fine a cheap and nasty padlock though.

What is the best option of something secure and reasonable to transport about?
Nov 2023
3:17pm, 10 Nov 2023
64,884 posts
  •  
LindsD
I have a Kryptonite but they are heavy. Billy has one with a frame attachment that seems like a good solution
Nov 2023
3:21pm, 10 Nov 2023
7,346 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Can you get a big heavy one - commute with it once and leave the chain and lock attached to whatever to tie the bike to ??
Nov 2023
3:21pm, 10 Nov 2023
15,421 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I leave my lock at work so I don't need to carry it.
Nov 2023
3:22pm, 10 Nov 2023
7,347 posts
  •  
bigleggy
I leave my lock at work so I don't need to carry it.

YP put it so much better than me :-)
Nov 2023
3:57pm, 10 Nov 2023
25,878 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah could do but would need one at home as well. It’s a new office and I believe it’s a secure cage there.
Nov 2023
3:59pm, 10 Nov 2023
3,666 posts
  •  
paulcook
I had a kryptonite too as above when I bike commuted. Yes heavy, but carried in my rucksack with the rest of my stuff but it was only a couple of miles.
jda
Nov 2023
4:02pm, 10 Nov 2023
15,850 posts
  •  
jda
Assuming your bike isn’t too spectacular just get something bigger and stronger than the bikes you park it next to, the thieves will go for them instead :-)

Also, think about detachable parts like saddles and wheels.
3M
Nov 2023
4:04pm, 10 Nov 2023
22,555 posts
  •  
3M
I've got a "bronze" rated cable lock with a combination and key. Bought in the local hardware shop of all places!

It's survived a couple of attempts at cutting through, but also my bike is probably not as tempting a target as others around it, so I suspect toe-rags give up because it's not worth the effort.
Nov 2023
4:08pm, 10 Nov 2023
25,879 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The bike is nothing fancy. Rucksack will need to accommodate a laptop and stuff.

Have found one that looks like it attaches to the frame which might be good.

Dug out and charging my lights. Hopefully they still work. All unused since Covid

Bike should be repaired by middle of next week.

I can cycle 90% off roads on cycle paths which is good. Just need to work out how to make it a cycle commute distance worth doing. Will be 2.5 miles on most direct route I think.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and grams of weight and lycra - not this one: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

And if you declare yourself at the outset as:
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

:-) G