Commuting to work by bike

59 watchers
Jan 2023
3:57pm, 9 Jan 2023
22,334 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Is a 15 mile each-way bike commute within the realms of possibility, or am I just deluding myself?

And even if it is a feasible distance, am I going to want to do it on Lincolnshire's lousy A road network?

But what's the alternative if I don't want to buy a new car?
Jan 2023
5:00pm, 9 Jan 2023
27,332 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
E-bike
PK
Jan 2023
5:07pm, 9 Jan 2023
1,236 posts
  •  
PK
Can't comment on Lincolnshire roads, but it is feasible......depending on level of fitness. Need a well maintained bike, and some basic repair supplies, but other than that, no reason not to.

Would be good for you, that's for sure. 😁

Would there be no cycle network to even take some of the roads out the equation?
3M
Jan 2023
5:12pm, 9 Jan 2023
20,106 posts
  •  
3M
It'll certainly keep you fit. I would have thought the Lincolnshire roads would encourage you to cycle as fast as you can, too! They scare me a bit when I have to drive along them.

You're looking at about an hour each way at least, though, aren't you? How valuable is your time (to you, if not to your employer)?
jda
Jan 2023
5:17pm, 9 Jan 2023
14,070 posts
  •  
jda
I did 11m quite easily each way, 15 on flat roads is probably manageable but it's quite wearing doing that much twice a day 5 days a week. e-bike won't be much use as you'll presumably be over the cut-out limit (15mph) most of the time anyway.

Motorbike? Or just a second-hand car, doesn't have to be new :-)
3M
Jan 2023
5:20pm, 9 Jan 2023
20,107 posts
  •  
3M
Or one of these....
https://www.squadmobility.com/#

(found on the Electric Car Thread - at fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ )
You might need to recharge it from the mains looking at the solar panel's capability!
Jan 2023
6:08pm, 9 Jan 2023
9,657 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Deegee it's manageable. I did 18 miles each way for years every day, in fact I even used to extend the morning one quite often to about 25 miles as I enjoyed being out early so much!

Depends on the roads though obviously!
Jan 2023
6:10pm, 9 Jan 2023
2,337 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
What are you looking at carrying? If it's just you and a change of clothes it may not be too bad. If you're having to carry more stuff (e.g. laptop, lunch) the extra weight can be surprisingly sapping.

I can't comment on the particular roads, but something else to consider is how stop-start the route is. My commute is only 10k, but about 20 sets of lights/junctions adds its toll.

As for the alternative, I don't know the geography, but could a folder and a train/bus help?
Jan 2023
6:16pm, 9 Jan 2023
14,966 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
It also depends on what other training you do. As your main exercise during the week it's doable, adding it on top of a training plan could mean it's too much unless you manage things quite carefully - that's the main reason I only commute to work by bike once per week these days.
Jan 2023
9:01pm, 9 Jan 2023
22,335 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Change of clothes and a sandwich would be the sum total of the luggage.

It's a choice of two, two digit A-Roads, single carriageway, National Speed Limit, without much cycle infrastructure along the way, so I suspect I'd have to have the racer out.

I'm not averse to a one hour commute, I currently regularly walk to my current office, but the new one is that much further away that on foot won't be an option.

(The wife and I have one car between us, we currently work at the same place. She won't be able to do the car commute, she has a lot more cargo to carry. I don't want a second car.)

Alternatively, I'm looking at an e-moped for probably a 40 minute commute. Just need one with sufficient range for the speed.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and grams of weight and lycra - not this one: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

And if you declare yourself at the outset as:
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

:-) G