Sub 3Hr Marathon

306 watchers
13 May
6:52am, 13 May 2024
2,150 posts
  •  
Mark J πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ
SPR wrote:Setting realistic goals as you progress would make more sense as training for sub 3 right now is impossible and could lead to bad training. Train where you are, not where you want to be.

Sound advice that.
13 May
9:10am, 13 May 2024
885 posts
  •  
Wezza
All good sound advice from lots of folks here. And yes indeed, there won't be any training remotely connected to what's discussed here. All I'll be doing is endeavouring to be a bit better than last week etc. And so on. See where it leads.
I know it's all nonsense pie in the sky stuff and a bit of a cheek perhaps coming on here and stating what I did.
And I know I'm not worthy of these pages but I will report back with an update in a few years, even if I've given up and got to 20 stone πŸ˜‚
13 May
9:15am, 13 May 2024
886 posts
  •  
Wezza
Mark J πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ wrote:Now you see while I don't completely disagree with Charlesvdw on the surface, I think there's, potentially a really interesting project here. One to definitely be started on another , lower paced thread but it would be very cool if it made it back to this thread in a couple to a few years time. Don't you think?

Absolutely! See you in a few years πŸ˜ƒ I'm off to the 4 hr thread.
13 May
9:33am, 13 May 2024
68,895 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Absolutely! See you in a few years πŸ˜ƒ I'm off to the 4 hr thread.

Oh, excellent! The 4hr thread needs a wee shake. I'll go over and tidy up now.
13 May
9:35am, 13 May 2024
887 posts
  •  
Wezza
πŸ˜‚
13 May
9:38am, 13 May 2024
2,392 posts
  •  
Brunski
Wezza I like a strong bold, long term goal and I'd be interested in updates on your journey here - this page isn't just for people who have run sub-3. It just felt a little like you'd plucked 3 hour marathon from somewhere and said that's your target.

I'm guessing by your age you maybe have a little more time to train now, maybe lucky enough to have retired/cut hours/more time now kids moved on, etc. (all guesses and may well be wrong).

I'd put that time toward gradually upping the mileage and, as others have said, taking small chunks off your times. You also imply that you might improve your diet and drop a few lbs, that'll help!

If I was you:

- I'd start by just jogging more days, or longer each day until you're doing 2 or 3 days up around/over an hour.

- I'd then add sessions in, preferably with others if you could join a club/group.

- If you parkrun I'd do that most weeks with 1 a month designated as all out, the other 3 or 4 at 80-90%.
- I'd book in 2 key races a year, starting with shorter distances, maybe one 5k and a 10k? You can book more, but I'd focus on 2.
- I'd ignore marathons for at least a year, probably 2.

- I'd set your 10 k target off your 5k time, your HM target off your 10k time, then your marathon off your HM time.

If you could gradually build from 20 miles up to doing 50ish a week (gradually is key) then you'll start to find out what sort of potential you have.

If you then find 50 is normal and can push that a bit higher, then maybe you'll get to the goal of a 3hr marathon, but a lot of things will have to fall into place before that happens.
13 May
9:40am, 13 May 2024
3,712 posts
  •  
Bowman πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ
Wezza
Hey buddy, you'll do wonders with weight, fitness and wellbeing if you start to train a bit more, and consistent. In the end, thats whats matters really.
What the "sub3" goal is for you, you'll find out during the way.

Keep at it!
13 May
9:42am, 13 May 2024
888 posts
  •  
Wezza
That's great. Thanks Brunski
13 May
9:44am, 13 May 2024
889 posts
  •  
Wezza
Totally with you. Thanks Bowman πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ
SPR
13 May
11:01am, 13 May 2024
44,229 posts
  •  
SPR
Yes, I'd say picking up consistent training habits is what is the way forward.

I'd do for consist 3 days a week, then 4, then 5, then 6. Making sure that you're monitoring how you feel so you don't do too much too soon.

I personally would say you don't necessarily need a club speed session but if you enjoy them, then that's part of making training sustainable. If you do parkrun and a few strides now and again, then that's probably enough speed work initially.

If you're willing to put in work over a long period without necessarily getting instant gratification something like Hadd base training may suit you. It may be something that is best started during the winter though.

Also coaching may be something worth looking at so you don't have to do the thinking about how to organise your training.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
20 Oct
Amsterdam
Charlesvdw 2:59:59
Abingdon
rhb 2:59
Miser 2:45
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
28 April Boston
Brunski 2:52:33
28 April Newport
Miser 2:50:14
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.