Severance by Ling Ma - Feb 2024 Book Group discussion thread

8 watchers
24 Feb
6:28pm, 24 Feb 2024
14,384 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Interesting that I liked the ending whereas others didn't!

I don't think she's fevered but I wonder if staying somewhere familiar might trigger it?
24 Feb
8:30pm, 24 Feb 2024
66,801 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you for the review. I hadn't twigged the familiar = fevered connection. Of course.
15 Aug
10:27am, 15 Aug 2024
9,058 posts
  •  
westmoors
Late to the party on this one!

I think this must be the best dystopian novel I have read. Had to keep reminding myself this was published pre-covid because the similarities to the pandemic were uncanny.

As with other dystopian novels, I did question where they got the fuel from to keep the cars running, but it was made clear they were eating long life foods (i.e. dried & tinned) which is often omitted in this genre.

Really enjoyed the different timelines and felt I knew Candace. I liked that she 'fulfilled her contract' and got the payment even though the money was then useless.

I didn't like Bob, but I don't think we were meant to, and was glad when Candace made her escape.

Left with many questions: did Candace have her baby? how did they live? did Jonathan survive?

Thank you @LindsD for choosing this. I really enjoyed it and gave it an 8.
15 Aug
11:03am, 15 Aug 2024
54,390 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I've still got this on my TBR pile! :-o
15 Aug
11:04am, 15 Aug 2024
87,580 posts
  •  
Diogenes
It's on my forgotten I never read it or even acquired a copy pile
15 Aug
11:29am, 15 Aug 2024
69,342 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad you liked it @westmoors

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
This book, as chozz by Linds, is a jolly jape and romp on the beautiful dessert* island of Dystopia. A magical land of elves, pixies, goblins and such-like. Gaze with childlike wonder at this delightful children's tale that will also appeal to the adults in your household. No, hang on. That's The Hobbit. This one might have zombies. They're a bit like hobbits, right?

*Not a typo: it's made of toffee

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 113,144 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here