Over 50's club

321 watchers
12 Jan
1:10pm, 12 Jan 2024
6,373 posts
  •  
Winniefree
Also odd - Mr W was invited to have his shingles jab and dutifully went along to be told that he couldn’t have it because he’d recently had a covid jab and to come back in 6 months. 6 months later he’d turned 80 and was now told he wasn’t eligible.
12 Jan
1:54pm, 12 Jan 2024
118,022 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Weird!
I do not get these rules.
12 Jan
2:45pm, 12 Jan 2024
10,535 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Also odd - Mr W was invited to have his shingles jab and dutifully went along to be told that he couldn’t have it because he’d recently had a covid jab and to come back in 6 months. 6 months later he’d turned 80 and was now told he wasn’t eligible.
Very odd. My understanding from the NHS England website is that they can be given at the same time 🤷‍♂️
12 Jan
6:14pm, 12 Jan 2024
16,137 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
Weird! I do not get these rules.
This goes on in Public Health planning all the time.

1. Find the population for whom the preventive intervention is most effective and most cost effective. This might vary depending on your available statistics or your population health (for example we get to poo test earlier in Scotland, this could be because we are at higher risk of bowel cancer younger with our famously dodgy diet, or because the sums have been done differently from England).
2. Look at the resources available (amount of vaccine that can be procured, staff and facilities for administration).
3. Prioritise your population to match the resources available.

So hypothetically if the vaccine is cost effective above 65, but risks outweigh benefits above age 80 because people may not have an effective immune response as they age, you have a target population of 65-80. But resources don't allow you to get to all of these people in reasonable time, so you work out that the maximum benefit is for age 70-75 say, and if you target the 75-79 year olds you'll get them vaccinated while they can still mount a useful immune response before they turn 80 and they'll maintain immunity for their anticipated lifespan. So you'd like to get these people vaccinated first.

Doing the sums you calculate that you can afford to target 70-79 year olds and have enough vaccine for one other year group. Why not 65 year olds who will have the longest projected lifespan and the longest wait to get to 70? Next year you focus on those who were 64, 66 and 69 this year, the year after those who were 63, 67 and 68 this year. And you are all caught up.
jda
12 Jan
7:40pm, 12 Jan 2024
16,228 posts
  •  
jda
I can understand that for targeting, but given that a significant part of the problem is getting people to turn up, it seems a bit harsh to actually turn away someone who is on the fringe of eligibility.

Certainly when doing the covid vaccination we were very much encouraged to push people through the system even if they weren't fully eligible. Of course at the time we had ample supply for the properly booked cohort and just wanted to get it into arms (so long as they were safe, of course).
12 Jan
7:44pm, 12 Jan 2024
3,080 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Well explained 57.5 Degrees of Pain
I was going to try and explain that, but you have managed so much better than I would have.
MsG
12 Jan
8:10pm, 12 Jan 2024
2,602 posts
  •  
MsG
For anyone interested in reading the background on policy, then the gov website has a lot of information. However the website is not easy to navigate!
The national screening committee publishes the minutes and decision making process online. There are also calls for evidence when new screening programmes are considered (and/or change of scope).

This links to “ UK NSC disease, clinical effectiveness and cost effectiveness modelling” explains how the process of assessing a screening programme

gov.uk

This links to the page with sub links to criteria for population and targeted screening programmes gov.uk

Principles and processes

gov.uk

Explanation of population screening

gov.uk

In cervical screening, if a woman doesn’t attend within the timeframe of when she’s called for screening, then her recall date will be set to a next cycle (depending on previous history, that might be 12m, 36m or 60m). However she can still have a test if she requests it before the next scheduled screening round.
12 Jan
9:22pm, 12 Jan 2024
118,052 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Interesting! I will peruse this, thanks!
13 Jan
9:23am, 13 Jan 2024
28,274 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Related: It saves money on postage/texts etc & staff time if people actively cancel or decline something rather than ignore recalls or do not attend!
13 Jan
12:29pm, 13 Jan 2024
118,094 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I do, but the NHS doesn't thank me, they just keep badgering me. It seriously annoys me! And I get it 3x: GP, Hospital, general NHS. None connected, all ignore my cancellations/requests to take me off lists...

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.