Garmin

1 lurker | 210 watchers
1 May
6:18pm, 1 May 2024
17,103 posts
  •  
Badger
The latter, indeed.

Every record in the fit file has a CUT timestamp and it'll be based on the time since the first GPS location logged even you press start. If you pause, it goes on calculating GPS location every second but doesn't log it, if you Resume Later it isn't even doing that.
1 May
6:30pm, 1 May 2024
3,452 posts
  •  
Big_G
Flanker, when Larkim used that expression I presumed he meant that the device was literally still tracking/recording time even if Resume Later was pressed, but I wasn’t sure if it would do that.

Badger, thanks.
1 May
9:34pm, 1 May 2024
23,981 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, I'd wondered that too, badgers description of how it works technically makes perfect sense.
1 May
11:06pm, 1 May 2024
17,105 posts
  •  
Badger
I had a quick poke at a running fit file - total time and elapsed time only show up in lap records and a few summary records, but not in individual data points. It's clearly keeping track of stop/start timing and lap times (which must be interpolated) to sub-second accuracy, but not constantly logging them. So I would walk that back a tiny bit, in that there is a little bit more going on than the timestamps of the individual records, but it looks as though it's based on higher accuracy time stamps for stop/start events than are recorded in the fit file (also time stamped to the second). I am currently collecting HRV data and that does get logged while the watch is paused; GPS location doesn't.
1 May
11:55pm, 1 May 2024
21,224 posts
  •  
flanker
As Abdger says, the device is still looking for the GPS signal when paused, and so having a battery impact, but not when resuming later. I can mean that when resuming the first few data points are unrelaible unless you wait for it to tell you it has acquired GPS.

Given HRV is independent of activity and monitored continuously, how do you get the data out for non-activity periods (this is another "I could probably research this, but it's easier to ask" thing :-) )?
6 May
11:05am, 6 May 2024
3,883 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Anybody have issues with run not uploading to any sites? My cool down uploaded but not the run itself?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.