F'Laps - Saturday 6th July

Join in with our challenge this Saturday. Run a set distance every hour until you can't run any more!

Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
May 2021
8:48pm, 31 May 2021
26,869 posts
  •  
Dave.O
On the same sort of size as the Kona, you also have the Kia Niro (if you can forgive the annoying de Niro adverts). It claims 300 miles of range, but as a result, I think it's a bit more than the Hyundais.

The Hyundai and Kia use the same drive train and battery (sister companies) Claimed mileage is 280 miles, Out of my Kia Soul at the moment I get about 250 but a workmate who drives more sensibly than me gets fairly near the 280 out of his Niro.
May 2021
8:49pm, 31 May 2021
38,853 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
6-8 weeks. Boo!

Yes will get home charger. Think octopus do a 5p tariff overnight.

WW it's a bit daft looking but it's got back seats I'll be able to fit grandson's car seat in. 7.7s 0-60 too is about same as my BMW! Not what it's about of course! :-) G
May 2021
9:31pm, 31 May 2021
14,596 posts
  •  
larkim
If you're already a Octopus customer you can get Octopus Go Faster which allows for a flexible cheap charging window and up to five hours of cheap power. 5.5p for five hours, so a little more expensive than 5p for four hours, but with a bigger battery you might want that.

Bear in mind getting the appropriate SMETS 2 smart meter takes a little while so you might want to get that kicked off sooner rather than later.
Jun 2021
7:17am, 1 Jun 2021
38,854 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Good shout larks. I was going to request smart meter anyway so will initiate ASAP!

It's 9 hrs to charge at 7kw I think but hopefully won't be empty too often. I'll ask them what I best tariff. If we get solar panels it might be free to fill up! :-) G
Jun 2021
7:59am, 1 Jun 2021
14,597 posts
  •  
larkim
We've got solar too, but even at max output of about 3kWh that's still less than half speed charging assuming all of the solar is going into the car. Not saying it's not a good use of the sun, but the impact is moderate (and cost wise, it's not as cheap as using noctural pricing).

There are some clever chargers though that work with the solar panels and detect when there is surplus power to be stored in the car. Might be worth looking into from an eco perspective, though I don't think it is likely to be cost effective.

I tend to run the car to about 45% full and then top up so I can get it all done overnight. There are some who'll say topping up the batteries to full regularly is a "bad thing", but my reading is that that is now a thing of the past when companies needed to get every last kWh of storage out of the batteries, whereas now they tend to reserve some capacity at the top end to prevent the issues that arise with fully charged batteries causing degradation.
Jun 2021
8:37am, 1 Jun 2021
38,858 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Did you get the grand for installing your charge point at home? Looks like 2 different grants here in Scotland - £350 direct to installer, then another £250 you can claim. Did you look at getting 3 phase to charge at 10.5kW? Or is it just single phase 7kW?

We are looking at a pretty big solar array of up to 10kW (we have fields!) But that's another project! :-) G
Jun 2021
8:50am, 1 Jun 2021
14,602 posts
  •  
larkim
The grant was applied, but as this was all under the motability scheme I don't think we paid anything, so I'm not sure what the make up of grant / contribution was.

I don't think 3phase would be available at my house without a big cost but we didn't even look into it. I think if you've already got it, and the car can use it, it makes sense to make it available.

A 10kW array would definitely make charging effective via solar - if there's ever any sun where you are!
Jun 2021
8:58am, 1 Jun 2021
38,862 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So rude! We get sun in Scotland (actually, we're east and southish, so we get the most. Probably more than west of England actually. Certainly less rain than you!)

Modern solar doesn't need baking hot, direct sun. Charges on a cloudy day, I'm told. Right, need to look into getting quotes for installation. :-) G
Jun 2021
9:26am, 1 Jun 2021
14,632 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
BBC News - Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think
bbc.co.uk

Electric cars and s curves....

Nice to see the data backing up that we are roughly where I thought we are (globally)

Transition will be broadly done by early 2030s.

Autonomous vehicles will be done by latest 2040 I estimate
Jun 2021
10:59am, 1 Jun 2021
38,864 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm really excited about getting my first electric. There are def hurdles and confusion, I can say now with experience.

2 different grants for home charger installation. One to the installer, one to claim back by home owner.

Charging points of rapid chargers was a really interesting map, petering out as you get further north, with poor provision in Scotland north of the central belt.

Pricing is still 50% to 90% higher on the new car purchase price, and that translates into lease prices too.

Second hand market is very sparse, and concerns (for me anyway) about the speed of change of technology and buying an older model.

Range is not something I have anxiety about, but planning the few long journeys we as a family might do is not easy - Oxford, 410 miles, 2 stops, with zap-map telling me some chargers are out of use, or other issues or restrictions, compared to 5 minute motorway service station for petrol/diesel top up.

Ironically, my drives to north and west of Scotland less of an issue. Under 250 miles and 55mph average (not motorways), so should be able to do without needing to stop and recharge until destination.

I'll keep reporting as I learn more. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.