A Thousand Ships - August 2024 Book Group discussion thread

6 watchers
27 Aug
9:14am, 27 Aug 2024
6,335 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
As usual I completely agree with @Little Nemo about Pat Barker’s and Madeleine Miller’s books.
27 Aug
5:53pm, 27 Aug 2024
15,326 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
:-)

Forgot to say, thanks for choosing it!
4 Sep
11:54am, 4 Sep 2024
69,570 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks Scribbs. I loved this. I struggle a bit with Greek myths because I can't remember them, but the list at the front of the book really helped and I was gripped by the retelling of the various events of the Trojan War and its aftermath from the women's pov. I especially liked Penelope's letters to Odysseus and Calliope's letters to the poet. I wouldn't have picked this up but I'm glad I did. It was really interesting to see the events, which are mostly pretty well-known, presented differently and it really made me think (and a bit angry). I gave it a 9.
4 Sep
11:58am, 4 Sep 2024
69,571 posts
  •  
LindsD
How interesting to read back! I agree totally that Song of Achilles is wonderful and Circe not so great but hadn't put my finger on why. FUnny that we had such polarised reactions to Penelope.
4 Sep
11:59am, 4 Sep 2024
69,572 posts
  •  
LindsD
And... without wishing to get too lit crit, McG says "circling the main story rather than engaging with it". Isn't that kinda the point? The women are rarely the main story.
4 Sep
12:23pm, 4 Sep 2024
54,471 posts
  •  
McGoohan
^This is true.

But I think there are still two problems with this.
1) Because she jumps from woman to woman, there's very little through narrative.
2) I think the Penelope chapters are indicative of why the book as a whole doesn't work for me. The sarcastic, critiquing voice is good, BUT she has no story of her own. Her entire story is just the recounting of Odysseus's story. I don't think it succeeds if she's reclaiming a story on behalf of a woman and then that woman plays no part in that story.

I had the same problem with Miller's Circe. Almost nothing happens to the character of Circe other than her recounting what men are doing elsewhere as she is occasionally updated on things by them crashing their boats into her island.

And yes, I am aware that I, a man, am criticising a woman writer's feminist critique. More irony than an iron foundry. If only these stories were set in Ancient Rome rather than Greece, I could say I was 'Romansplaining' and high-five myself for that gag.

As it is, I'll shut up now and go sit in the corner :-)
4 Sep
12:27pm, 4 Sep 2024
54,472 posts
  •  
McGoohan
HOWEVER... I also have this on the TBR pile which is a non-fictional version of the same material sliced up differently and will report back...
4 Sep
2:24pm, 4 Sep 2024
69,573 posts
  •  
LindsD
Looking forward to hearing about how it is.

I take your points above, but I still think it's kinda the point. Penelope *had* no story to tell. She just waited and got annoyed by all the suitors.

You can come out of the corner now :) heart
7 Sep
3:01pm, 7 Sep 2024
22,576 posts
  •  
Columba
That looks interesting, McG. I too look forward to your views.

And yes, Linds; Penelope's story was that she had no story. All she could do was wait, and keep the suitors at bay as best she could.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
TheScribbler has chosen Natalie Haynes' A Thousand Ships for the August 2024 read.

Here's a spooky thing: Natalie Haynes was born and lived in... Bournville. If you turn to page 237 of your copy of J. Coe's novel of the same name and our June choice, you will find Natalie Haynes peeking out between the lines. Haynes is also a stand-up comedian, TV and radio writer and presenter as well as classicist and journalist.

She has written extensively on the ancient world and mythol...