Sub 3Hr Marathon

1 lurker | 305 watchers
rhb
13 May
11:41pm, 13 May 2024
2,263 posts
  •  
rhb
P.s. can't remember if I mentioned already, the last 5 miles joined the 2h15m+ pace HM runners which made for interestingly hectic weaving through the crowds due to the pace difference.
12:09am
12:09am, 14 May 2024
2,152 posts
  •  
Mark J 🇳🇿
rhb wrote:P.s. can't remember if I mentioned already, the last 5 miles joined the 2h15m+ pace HM runners which made for interestingly hectic weaving through the crowds due to the pace difference.

That would have been fun (reads, slightly frustrating).
jda
7:48am
7:48am, 14 May 2024
17,059 posts
  •  
jda
My impression is that some pacers aren’t very good at their job, if they are intrinsically much faster runners they won’t need to pace sensibly to hit their goals. Whereas someone right at the limit has to be careful with pace, especially where hills are concerned.
8:34am
8:34am, 14 May 2024
7,155 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Another good reason to do it yourself and not rely on someone else.
jda
9:29am
9:29am, 14 May 2024
17,063 posts
  •  
jda
I've generally found a small pod of people to tag onto going at the right speed. It all falls apart around 30k of course, then it's just everyone for themselves with runners going forwards, backwards, sideways and sometimes just stopped at the roadside.

Once I found a group going at slightly the wrong speed, which I didn't realise for a while. That didn't work out so well :-)

In a smaller marathon you might struggle to find enough company I suppose, knowing there was a group at about the right pace could be helpful.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
All about hitting the magic 2:xx:yy!
Targets 2024
======
Results 2024
bunting
medal medal medal medal medal
18 Feb Seville
mattykay 2.58.32
14 April Rotterdam
jomo_richmond 2:43:18
21 April London
Chris 2:39:16
Alun 2:59:28
28 April Boston
Brunski 2:52:33
28 April Newport

Miser 2:50:14
medal medal medal medal medal
bunting

=====================
Current (2018) thread owner jda, if I go awol then someone else should feel free to take over...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.