Ill during taper

4 watchers
18 Apr
9:27pm, 18 Apr 2024
930 posts
  •  
Solo
Sorry to read this Hills of Death (HOD) Last year I tried to run York marathon after suffering with a virus during my taper. I tried and failed and had to drop out over 22 miles into the race as I felt so poorly, a shivering wreck. A two week chest infection will have taken it's toll on your immune system. I wouldn't run, there will be other marathons.
18 Apr
10:25pm, 18 Apr 2024
4,614 posts
  •  
paulcook
I got ill a day into my 3-week taper for an ultra in 2019. I was coughing so hard at one point for two nights, I thought I was going to break my ribs and took I think about a week off work entirely - oddly the symptoms were so similar to Covid but it was too early in 2019 to be Covid.

Anyway, I went a week without running, and only 1 run in 10 days. I did a short fitness test the first day I felt able to run again, and a longer fitness test a week out from the race, and from there an even easier final week than I would have anyway. I was really pleased with how the race went in the end, but there was still some residual fatigue later on.

The fitness tests were key for me. They told me I was fine to run. Because only you know your body and how you react to certain things.
19 Apr
7:13am, 19 Apr 2024
3,596 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I have been ill for 3,5 weeks now. But just barely.
Poor sleep, crappy HRV and really high RHR last 1,5 weeks.

I feel pretty ok, and i have been able to do 95% of the planned runs, but most of the runs easy, and no hard speedwork. And mileage has been over 100 km per week. So a lot of training still.

Still am a bit worried, have i prolonged or worsened the infection? Could the infection have been cleared earlier if i rested a lot more?

I have been careful about the overall sensation in the body, and have not run with fever, sore throat or something like that. And the worst days i plodded 2-5km.
But i have had some headache, runny nose and throbbing sinuses for some of the runs.
Even long ones, but the HR has been ok.

This started about 6-7 weeks out from the marathon day, and messed up with my last hardest part of my marathon block. i'm almost ok now, RHR 15%-20% up still, but going down.

HRV, still in the basement. i sleep better, and overall energy really good.

If i feel good tomorrow morning i'll start at a HM, and if that feels good, i'll try to go in HM pace, if that doesn't feel ok, il go for MP.

Whatever you decide do Hills of Death (HOD), be careful.

I like the live to fight another day quote jda :)
27 Apr
1:30pm, 27 Apr 2024
2,380 posts
  •  
Shades
Hills of Death (HOD) how are you?

Have you decided whether to run tomorrow or not?
27 Apr
3:02pm, 27 Apr 2024
37,117 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Hi Shades I’m fine now been running this week but won’t do full (half)
27 Apr
3:40pm, 27 Apr 2024
2,382 posts
  •  
Shades
Good to hear you're better. Take it easy on the half.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
As some of you know me I’ve done a few marathons however I’ve never been ill during a taper.

I’ve had a chest infection for 2 weeks now unable to run this happened the next day AFTER my last long run. Marathon is Sunday week at Newport.

I’m wondering if my breathing comes back this weekend.Should I bin the marathon go down to Half or 10k ? It even forget the lot I can’t defer