•  
Joopsy
You are probably right.
8:00am
8:00am, 8 May 2024
1,320 posts
  •  
Hertford Tiger
Well there have been some terrible decisions by chairmen in the championship this year - please take a bow Sunderland and Birmingham- but I think Acun Ilicali of Hull has yesterday won the award for the craziest sacking yet.

Under Liam Rosenior we seemed to be heading in the right direction. Nominated for manager of the year so I guess others felt so as well, yet he is sacked as his vision didn’t align with the clubs.

Does this mean a “name” to replace him. I hear Rooney is still out of work or a foreign manager with no knowledge of the championship, that worked well before. I really don’t see anyone who would be an improvement.

I am not happy today.
8:57am
8:57am, 8 May 2024
4,727 posts
  •  
paulcook
Only won the manager of the month award in April. That's some extra level manager of the month curse there.
9:36am
9:36am, 8 May 2024
2,564 posts
  •  
stuart little
It's a bonkers decision HT, but he's always seemed the sort of owner who thinks he knows best. At least whoever is in next gets a preseason with the squad.

Doubt the Villa will win again this season 54 games and the injury list has finally caught up with us. Still, hopefully I'll get to Beverley town's playoff final on Saturday.
10:14am
10:14am, 8 May 2024
37,130 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Are they trying to get Moyes 🤷🏻‍♂️
10:17am
10:17am, 8 May 2024
4,728 posts
  •  
paulcook
Or Ten Hag?
10:19am
10:19am, 8 May 2024
37,132 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Or Potter 😂
12:01pm
12:01pm, 8 May 2024
430 posts
  •  
DaveG
Teams who do well generally do so due to the vision of the owners, not the skills of the manager. Brighton are a good example of this, being able to change managers with no impact on results or performance. Bournemouth seemed crazy to sack Parker, but managers with more belief have taken them forward. Even City's success isn't just about Pep, but the work done in changing the training grounds, developing a style in their youth teams and putting the right things in place for Pep to walk into.

Teams who do badly generally do so as they are too dependent on their manager and have no vision. Everton are a great example of this, constantly switching between managers who play more expansive, attacking football and those who are more pragmatic. They just end up with the wrong players for the new manager, who then spends time creating the wrong players for the next manager - a clear vision and direction would stop the constant rebuilding. United are similar, with each new manager expected to fix the problems, but without a blueprint for what is needed.

So I don't mind owners sacking managers who don't share a vision, or believe you should replace a manager when you don't have a vision. In terms of three recent changes (or pressures):

Hull - It seems crazy, but if the manager wants a different plan for next season than where the club is heading it's the tough, decisive measures that brings success. It all depends on if the plan is Brighton-like, or Birmingham-like, that will determine if it's the right decision.

Man United - I don't see what changing now achieves. A year of rebuilding with Ratcliffe and determining where the club is going then making the switch seems better than another false start. I'd see McKenna as having the qualities of managers who generally do well (learning the trader at a Champions League team and having success at a time well below that level) and a season in the Premiership will make him a strong choice next season.

West Ham - This is crazy. They are losing a manager who has delivered high league finishes, European adventures and a major trophy, in the hope that they can play nicer football. This has Everton's problem of the wrong players for the manager written all over it. Realistically, the benchmark to hit for the new manager (top half finish) is lower than what would be expected from Moyes. Do their fans really want to watch them lose more games, but being more attacking when doing so?
12:16pm
12:16pm, 8 May 2024
7,495 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Everton's owner not only has no vision, he has no clue how to run a football club.

At least now, we are so financially restrained he can't get rid of Dyche, so we stand a chance of having a manager be here long enough to build a side........albeit on a shoestring budget.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.