cycling and knee support recommendation required please

4 watchers
23 Apr
12:54pm, 23 Apr 2024
10,325 posts
  •  
GordonG
I’ve worn a knee support (the compression-only kind, nothing more complicated than that) for running and cycling for quite a few years. It works fine and I don’t intend to not wear one.

But I’ve been increasing my cycling mileage recently and the knee support I’ve been wearing – an Ultimate Performance one – is becoming really uncomfortable on the back of my knee. It’s causing chaffing after about 20 miles of cycling and the skin remains very painful for a number of days afterwards. I’ll be doing the London Ride 100 in a month or so and before it gets too late I want to try an alternative.

Can anyone recommend a compression-style knee support that does the job but is comfortable on the back of the knee on long cycle rides?

Thanks in advance
24 Apr
4:56pm, 24 Apr 2024
49,890 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought the only reason for cycling was when you can't run cos your knees are done in. If cycling also does your knees in, then what's the point of cycling? ;-) (Joke - hope you find a new/better knee support that doesn't chafe.) :-) G
24 Apr
6:05pm, 24 Apr 2024
10,331 posts
  •  
GordonG
Lol. Yeah I know that ultimately I should be getting it sorted, but it's really just a niggle, and I suspect I get more out of wearing the knee support psychologically than physically 😀
25 Apr
9:07am, 25 Apr 2024
2,551 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I know it's not the question you asked, but have you spoken to a bike-fitter, especially one with a physio background? You don't often see riders with proper knee supports for the reason you highlight - there is a lot of movement at the knee and it can chafe. You do occasionally see riders with kinesio tape, but not much more than that.

If it is more psychological than physical though, possibly just a knee warmer may work. Not much actual support, but a bit of a placebo effect.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
I’ve worn a knee support (the compression-only kind, nothing more complicated than that) for running and cycling for quite a few years. It works fine and I don’t intend to not wear one.

But I’ve been increasing my cycling mileage recently and the knee support I’ve been wearing – an Ultimate Performance one – is becoming really uncomfortable on the back of my knee. It’s causing chaffing after about 20 miles of cycling and the skin remains very painful for a number of days after...