F'Laps - Saturday 6th July

Join in with our challenge this Saturday. Run a set distance every hour until you can't run any more!

Coronavirus **support** thread

162 watchers
Jun 2020
9:27pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,409 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Eldest and OH both on site(s) - hospitals and courts, neither abe to work at home
Jun 2020
9:49pm, 3 Jun 2020
6,513 posts
  •  
sallykate
WFH can be very isolating and depersonalising - I’d love to be able to start going to the office again. Add the challenges of “homeschooling” and it’s definitely not an easy ride.
Jun 2020
10:01pm, 3 Jun 2020
982 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I'm also a "no WFH" type, but TP has decided he is unlikely to go office based 5 days again. He's likely to WFH at least 3 days a week. Also, more meetings will be online, so he's unlikely to have to spend half a day travelling to see people so often. Saves fuel, time, and he can get out for a walk at lunchtime from home. All good.
Jun 2020
11:04pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,175 posts
  •  
Chrisull
WFH is the future. The ethical (and only) future. There are essential jobs and things that will always require travel like NHS, supermarkets, schools, yes. Totally. But for the rest of us we have to look at ourselves and say is commuting to my workplace really essential? For last 16 years I've actively sought out jobs that can be done work from home (nearly as long as the same amount of time I've not flown for), not because WFH is some kind of middle class bung, but because commuting is senseless and is destroying the planet.

It's tough at times existing inside your own head without social contact. But not impossible or unworkable. And getting out for things like a walk at lunchtime (or after a particularly problematic piece of work), they can be lifesavers, and very rewarding. With WFH must come flexi-time. That brings its own problems - how do I /when do I down tools. Guilt means you put in more hours not less. The jokes about watching daytime TV. Yeah, yeah right, I laugh politely, but no, you get the hell on with it. But if you can WFH, you should be making that point quietly and forcefully now, because in a few years time it will be de rigeur.

The lockdown reduced carbon emissions by 17%.

nature.com

Bad news it isn't enough, not even remotely. The lockdown was just a rehearsal for a way bigger crisis coming at us.
Jun 2020
11:08pm, 3 Jun 2020
16,176 posts
  •  
Chrisull
TMW - "there is a potential deurbanisation which could impact on housing availability in more rural areas."

You're correct totally. That needs addressing. But it's here already. It's called second homes owned by Londoners/wealthy city dwellers right here in Cornwall.... or in Wales... or you name it.
WA
Jun 2020
11:08pm, 3 Jun 2020
6,968 posts
  •  
WA
There's a new job opportunity within our trust. It's a band lower than mine, but it can be done from home. If I increase my hours, it would be more lucrative than my current post, and would work well around other family commitments.
I would lose patient contact tho
My commute is over 2 hours (home to base to home) and then patient visits on top.

I hate the driving, but love working with my patients.
I'm considering applying
Jun 2020
11:23pm, 3 Jun 2020
11,739 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
+1 Chrisull.

Also worth remembering that every person who is working from home is one less person potentially carrying and spreading any infection into the community, as well as protecting themselves and their immediate household and contacts. And also therefore not taking up space in hospitals, (or traffic jams!) and less demand on emergency services etc., simply because their risk of being involved in ordinary road traffic accidents is much less.

It's not going to be possible or work for everyone, but I suspect it's a lot more possible than many think.
Jun 2020
12:16am, 4 Jun 2020
4,089 posts
  •  
run free
+2 Chrisull MMM

TMW class divides have always existed.... but let's debate that in the Politics thread if we wish.
I know a couple of large companies already downsizing their buildings out of London.

WA - give yourself some time to reflect and imagine having more time with family vs time with patients. There will be someone else to pick up for you. My Aunt loved her work so much that she spent more time with her patients than spending time with her family, who were fitted in. My Uncle forced her to quit when she hit retirement age when she could have gone on. It took her a wee while to adjust and now when she reflects, she wishes she had quit earlier to spend more time with the man she loved. (Uncle passed away about 8 years after she quit).

Anyway look forward to hearing you all talk about augmented reality as part of seeing & explaining to patients their ailments.
Jun 2020
4:24am, 4 Jun 2020
4,618 posts
  •  
quimby
+3 Chrisull

We had an email today from the "internal comms" dept, with a vote thing for "will you want to come back to office soon?" Strong NO from me. And I definitely work harder from home. Yes, I do a trot on the treadmill every hour or so - about 3-5 mins - but I don't waste as much time on the internet or chatting. Is that good or bad? The chatting is often work and social combined. I miss it.

Big hugs to those who *have* to go to physical work.
Jun 2020
6:33am, 4 Jun 2020
2,645 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I can and am wfh but I can not do my job as well and I don't have the flexibility to go for a walk or take a break when I want/need to. I also don't have access to colleagues for support if required in the same way that I do when working on site.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s