Down to the Sea in Ships - Book Group Oct 2022 discussion thread

9 watchers
Sep 2023
2:27pm, 29 Sep 2023
148,109 posts
  •  
GregP
SailorSteve I've just finished How to Build an Aircraft Carrier, which I loved more than is altogether decent.
Sep 2023
4:03pm, 29 Sep 2023
2,446 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Wow GregP. Start small and go from there I guess👍; it’s on the list.
Sep 2023
4:16pm, 29 Sep 2023
2,447 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Not that anyone is asking, but my top 4 books of the sea (before having read the latest recommendations) for anyone who fancies a salty fix, without risking being ill or arrested, are:
This Thing of Darkness - Harry Thompson
Fastnet Force 10 - John Rousmaniere
A Voyage for Madmen - Peter Nichols
The Wreck of the Whale Ship “Essex” - Owen Chase
Sep 2023
5:06pm, 29 Sep 2023
29,161 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I am glad your taste in books and fetch handles are so well aligned
Sep 2023
5:38pm, 29 Sep 2023
2,448 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
😁 cheers Dippers - it’s my job, but I’m also a sailaholic😎
Oct 2023
3:19pm, 19 Oct 2023
2,456 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Just 18 pages into DTTSIS.

Even the foreword; the author’s note. I’m loving this.

Thanks again.
Oct 2023
3:28pm, 19 Oct 2023
29,709 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
:-)
Nov 2023
11:22am, 4 Nov 2023
2,463 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Yup, loved it. Some great insight into and articulation of what “to go to sea” and to be “at sea” feels like.

Just in case it’s of any interest to anyone, here are a couple of quotes on the subject from elsewhere, from a sailing perspective, that chime with me:
- with regard to a solo-transatlantic passage “…a very subtle dissolution of a sense of self as there's no one around to require the creation of a "me"…”
- just being at sea in mid-ocean “It's not only about what you do to fill the time, but what you don't do. There are no phone calls offshore, no emails, no tv, no bills to pay, no door to door salesmen, no traffic, no videos of cats wearing silly clothes, no air pollution, no noisy neighbours and no deadlines. Everything becomes more simple and your focus shifts away from the hecticness of modern living; the cycle of the moon, the weather, meal times and the sunrise and sunset become the most important things in your life.
I am sure it isn't for all of us, but for me there are very few places that I'd rather be than on a yacht in the middle of the Ocean...”

🥃

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Ar, chosen by Fetch hisself. This book be lifted from the depths of Davy Jones' locker, so it be. A tale of daring on the high seas of the Spanish Main. Horatio Clare, captain of the fair lateen-rigged caravel Hispaniola ... [checks notes]... stows away... [checks notes again]... travels on some Maersk container vessels in search of pirate gold...

Ar.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.